Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of the new HST that is set to roll on top of us next year, does anyone know any full answers on how it is going to affect us in our business/billings? I have been doing a lot of online reading but just can't find any solid answers. I don't know if it's a tax that we get back or if we do or don't bill it or what the deal is. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
Noah's Ark Construction

·
Registered
560 Posts
From what I have read so far in Saskatchewan we are no going to HST. I think it will be collected kinda the same as GST.
So your jobs will cost the customer more.

·
Average Joe
1,209 Posts
We bill it like we would GST.

So my $10,000 that becomes a $10, 500 invoice would now be $11, 300.

There are some exemptions, but we don't qualify for any of them. Unless you are building/selling new homes. The purchaser of a new home valued at less thank 400k is exempt. 400-500, they get partial rebate. That's it...insofar as it pertains to us.

I look forward to losing more jobs in 2010 :clap::mad:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Exactly works like GST.

No more PST.

You pay HST on everything you buy. You charge HST on everything you sell.

Pay the government the difference.

·
Registered
560 Posts
How do I become a 'government"? I want in on the action. Lol

With GST if you are under $30,000 in total sales/volume you do not have to register it is optional. Is HST the same?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
How do I become a 'government"? I want in on the action. Lol

With GST if you are under $30,000 in total sales/volume you do not have to register it is optional. Is HST the same?
Yes.

·
Time Traveler
233 Posts
This whole HST just cooks my back bacon... To quote "Taxation w/o Representation" What the %#@#$ is Harper thinking? in a Recession and our local ousted MP's making 180K after 6 years as a pension. Cut a couple of those pensions and we just might not need all the taxation...

'bout ready to move back to Texas and deal with the southern invasion and learn Spanish...

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
If you are doing less than $30K in yearly revenue as a renovator, then you probably are lucky to have a full time regular paying job working for someone else :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
If you are doing less than $30K in yearly revenue as a renovator, then you probably are lucky to have a full time regular paying job working for someone else :)
Actually I am over the $30,000 as a renovator. And I do work two jobs!!!:laughing:

I pastor a church full-time and am a self-employed carpenter. My wife helps me out a lot as my assistant, She does errand and office stuff.

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
So at what point are y'all going to rise up against all these taxes? Don't just take it. Get into government and cut the spending!!!!!
I've got time for one career only, and already made my choice.

Additionally, how do you compete with liars? My honest promises would pale in comparison to a liar's promises.

If I could find someone to vote for who would cut spending I would do that.

Unfortunately the person elected as premier of BC was against HST when everyone voted him, then thumbed his nose at everyone who voted for him and said "here comes the HST!"

Now... there is speculation about his retirement, so he's going to screw over the people who voted for him and retire, laughing. :censored::censored::furious::furious:
I think he should be banished from the country.

Here's a quote from someone else on the subject:

"I don't think Campbell cares or needs to remain as premier. The HST is his final gift to his corporate supporters. The B.C. Liberals have done as much as they can to hand the province over to their corporate friends during their legislatural tenure and can now ride off to the lucrative board appointments and upper management careers they expect to get in return. Their job is done; who cares what happens to the province and the little people in future?"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts