Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to lose my cool with the CSLB. They received my application July 3rd and sent it out for investigation July 23rd. I took and passed the exams Aug 19th and the girl at the test center said if you don't hear anything from the CSLB within two weeks I should call. I waited two weeks and nothing. So I called and spoke with the guy who was reviewing my application and he said he had it and that he had until the 21st of Sept to finish reviewing it. Well that day has come and gone and nothing. I've had this problem before with a state license in NC.... they actually "lost" my application and when they "found" it, part of it was missing. It should have taken 6 weeks and it took almost 4 months. I don't want to annoy these people since my "future" lays in their hands but this is nuts. How long did it take to get your license? Should I be concerned? Should I call again? Thanks....

·
GC
190 Posts
I'm about to lose my cool with the CSLB. They received my application July 3rd and sent it out for investigation July 23rd. I took and passed the exams Aug 19th and the girl at the test center said if you don't hear anything from the CSLB within two weeks I should call. I waited two weeks and nothing. So I called and spoke with the guy who was reviewing my application and he said he had it and that he had until the 21st of Sept to finish reviewing it. Well that day has come and gone and nothing. I've had this problem before with a state license in NC.... they actually "lost" my application and when they "found" it, part of it was missing. It should have taken 6 weeks and it took almost 4 months. I don't want to annoy these people since my "future" lays in their hands but this is nuts. How long did it take to get your license? Should I be concerned? Should I call again? Thanks....

Got mine quickly but have heard of issues if they cannot easily verify work history. Who is your qualifier? Sometimes if it is a family member they investigate pay stubs to make sure you have the right experience.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I was under the impression that you don't get scheduled to take your test until after everything is checked out and ok'ed with your app...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got mine quickly but have heard of issues if they cannot easily verify work history. Who is your qualifier? Sometimes if it is a family member they investigate pay stubs to make sure you have the right experience.
My qualifier isn't a family member, he's my supervisor at work. I've heard similar things about being related to the qualifier....

I was under the impression that you don't get scheduled to take your test until after everything is checked out and ok'ed with your app...
That's kinda what I assumed in the beginning as well. But evidently not, They gave me a test date pretty quickly and I breezed through it. I think I was the 2nd one done. Who knows...

·
Superintendent
79 Posts
My license took 2 months before I recieved it. I was glad that I
was not needing it ASAP. Not much you can do but wait because
the last thing you want to do is lose your cool with them.

·
Captain California
83 Posts
It takes some time.

Maybe they have a larger than normal workload because because everybody that has lost thier job now wants to be a contractor?

I would try to be patient up to about 8 weeks from your test date.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I would think a polite follow up call would be in your best interests.

Nothing wrong with inquiring about it without pissing them off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Got a call from them yesterday, everything checks out. They just need a couple more documents (one more W-2 and one more schedule E) and he said he would sign off on the approval so I could get my number. He confirmed my experience he just needs the doc's to make it final :thumbsup:. Whew!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good luck GC-B, tough time to be starting in this business. How's things picking up down south? We're in northern CA & finally starting to see improvement in the remodel industry -- phone's ringing!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts