Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question for any california contractrors here.

what are your hourly rates?

for those small contractors with 0-2 employees who do their own work, how much do you guys charge per hour?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i understand, im in northern california, in the San Francisco bay area. I was just curious because i recently became licensed. Now that i am licensed i need to pay for insurance, and taxes. Home owners don't seem to understand that. They just see the estimate and complain that it is too high. They think that the price of the bid is all profit, they don't understand the expenses of owning a buisness. I must admit i used to do work under the table for friends and family, and it was all cash. I was able to give them a deal because i would just charge them for my labor and materials. no extra costs for insurance and taxes. And i refuse to go back to doing work for the prices that i used to charge. I think to myself " then what was the point of going through all the sacrifice to become licensed." I know everybody starts off like this but it just frustrates me, because i haven't been able to get any work.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The same applies here in FL. You aren't going to command Palm Beach prices in Pahokee.
Go back through the Painting and Business archives here, there is a ton of info there. If you have any questions, come on back and I'm sure that you'll get answers.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Union rate in San Fran was about $33.00 an hour. In San Louis Obispo it was $23.00. Subtract about $5.00 an hour and thats what the average guy gets. Roughly. Get used to the complaining. Ive worked in $8,000,000.00 homes and got complaints about charging $2500.00 for some decorative painting in a 2000 sq ft foyer which is extremely cheap but since the paint is last, they tend to tighten up on ya. We are in a Do It Yourself world and everyone watchs the shows on TV and think they can go to Home Depot and do it themselves. Until you get your own reputation, its hard business. Charge fairly to start, build your rep, always do quality work and back it up and it will all happen if you keep the business sence. Just takes time. Cant help much more than that. I have a pretty good portfolio and its been hard for me starting up in a new place this last year. But its starting to move and I know it is slow to build. What are you doing to market yourself???

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Pro, I nebba new you be down onna street, dawg. Mebbe we bust a stone. (big shake) (little shake) (2 bumps) (finger symbols). ROLOFLOL!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, my buisness cards will be ready by this wednesday. I already typed up a flyer to go with the card. Once i get the cards, im going to take to the streets and go door to door dropping off cards. Im also going to hit up some local general contractors, and real estate agents as well.

Well you sure answered my question as to how much to pay my future employees, how about me, the boss. What is a reasonable salary for a painting contractor to make?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, I forgot to mention how much i am charging right now. Since i am working solo. I charge $36 an hour for my labor, i then tack on some more to cover taxes, insurance, and cost for getting business licenses and renewing bonds and contractor's license. All in all, the total package comes to $45 an hour. What do you guys think? is this fair?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I paint in N. Ca. Foothills.
I have 11 employees right now. I charge $42.00 per man hr on T&M. And when I am bidding I figure $45.00 per man hr.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts