Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Question about tile backer?

5K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  MIKE ANTONETTI 
#1 ·
Hi all, I am a carpenter in training so I'm not completely sure about this yet but to me it doesn't seem right. My grandma is having some remodels done and one thing that caught my eye today was that the contractor was using green paper drywall as his tile backer for the shower attached with drywall screws and there were 1/2" gaps between some sheets he also set the board directly on top of the plastic pan? Any insight you guys can give me would be great because I think he's starting to tile tomorrow and I wanna be able to step in before it's to late thanks!

#29 ·
Its not that hard confronting people who do a trademans work and calling them hacks,
ya get used to it after a while.

Stop feeling sorry for the guy, step up and slap him silly

#30 ·
I thought idiots lived just around me, it doesn't appear that people care if the tiles fall off the wall and water intrudes behind the wall. Down here in Florida termites like a little water with their meals.
Some use Durock and then drywall mud the seams, let alone the wrong screws, waterproofing that's the tile and grouts job!

#31 ·
Thank you for all of your responses I am saving all of this to show my uncle and grandmother I brought my concerns up to my uncle and no work is going to continue until we get everything figured out. I will keep this updated and again thank you this place is great for someone like me just starting out and trying to learn the proper way to do things!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.