21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts

·
General Contractor
499 Posts
Grant,

The only place for this type of work is in the "wall of shame thread".
You have 20 posts from knowledgable and unbiased contractors stating how poorly done this project is.
There is no way anyone can make it look better in the finish stages if the ground work is this jacked up.
Show your grand parents your tablet and our posts. It should be sufficient for an informed decision.

·
Registered
30 Posts
OMG that is bad! Is the guy an insured licensed contractor or just some guy your uncle found at Home Depot? That is really bad!

Greenboard in the shower: NO!
Greenboard resting on the pan: NO!
Drywall screws in the shower area: NO!
Beat up seams (fork lift dings) on the sheetrock: Maybe but not in the shower with (I assume) premixed joint compound.
Gaps in the sheetrock joints: NO! as above...
Ceiling sheetrock Not enough screws and the mesh tape. Nice!

I could list lots more but I have other things to do. I strongly recommend you contact your township and get an inspector on site ASAP. I guarantee that the guy doing that work is not pulling any permits...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I do a lot of showers and this is bad, bad, bad. You need tight joints w cement backer. Then I like to tape all the seams and use a waterproofing membrane over all. The joint between shower pan and wall is going to leak.

The Sheetrock job looks crappy too.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Its not that hard confronting people who do a trademans work and calling them hacks,
ya get used to it after a while.

Stop feeling sorry for the guy, step up and slap him silly

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I thought idiots lived just around me, it doesn't appear that people care if the tiles fall off the wall and water intrudes behind the wall. Down here in Florida termites like a little water with their meals.
Some use Durock and then drywall mud the seams, let alone the wrong screws, waterproofing that's the tile and grouts job!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thank you for all of your responses I am saving all of this to show my uncle and grandmother I brought my concerns up to my uncle and no work is going to continue until we get everything figured out. I will keep this updated and again thank you this place is great for someone like me just starting out and trying to learn the proper way to do things!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Grant

Where in MA are you located? I'd be willing to take the job over and install it correctly.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Drywall on outside of shower , the whole bathroom now needs to be replaced, I'm just patching it up. This is so unnecessary if properly waterproofed. This was today's job, one picture is a drywall nail.

image-3880715991.jpg

image-3581674902.jpg

image-1006852253.jpg

image-2908428469.jpg

21 - 33 of 33 Posts