Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Internet Marketing Agency
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get the opinion of as many members on this board as possible. I was just presented an offer that has to deal with sending out thank you cards, its an interesting proposition.

I would like you thoughts on the following questions...I would be grateful for your responses.

Do you send out thank you cards after you complete a job?

If no...why not If yes...do you think it helps your business?

Do you keep in contact with your customers via cards (that you mail)?

Do you follow up with potential clients after you provide a bid with a phone call or by mailing them something?

Again...thank you very much for you thoughts.

Jim

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
We send cards to prospects we presented quotes to that didn't hire us, clients after the job is complete and to anyone that refers us to someone. We use simple cards that are blank inside and hand write a simple thank you note.

We also call past prospects that we didn't sell to ask how the job went, etc. We are more apt to do this during slow times, less so if we are swamped.

We call clients with completed projects @ 30 days, 6 mos. and 1 year after completion.

I do think it helps our business by building relationships with the clients and it makes for stringer referrals.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have a feeling there is somebody else who's learned about Send Out Cards. If so, it's a great service. I've been using it for almost 5 years.

Highly suggest the book "Beach Money" by Jordan Adler in relation to that service. He is the man.

Carl

·
Registered
470 Posts
Last week we did a job for an account. He had the resturant remodled last spring, and was not happy about the job the GC did. Really upset did not describe the feelings about the job. This GC will never get to do any work for that resturant again. But, he is very good about sending out those little cards, birthday, anniversary of hte job start, the job finish, Christmas. Each time a card shows up, my customer is not reminded of a good job, but how painful the whole process was. In this case, the card is not producing the desired results.

·
Internet Marketing Agency
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carl...do you use the wholesaler or the network marketing side. I'm considering offering this service to our clients. That way if they only send out a handful of cards I can help them keep the costs down.

Curious to hear more about your experience with them.

Fireguy....if the service we provide sucks or the job we do is not up to par then nothing else we do is going to make a difference. The added personal touch only works if we have initially done a good job for the client/customer

j

·
Registered
529 Posts
Carl...do you use the wholesaler or the network marketing side. I'm considering offering this service to our clients. That way if they only send out a handful of cards I can help them keep the costs down.
I have the "Entrepreneurs Plus" or whatever they are calling it now (MLM Side)... If you want to make $$$ go with the highest level, so you can resell the wholesale and retail accounts.

1. Make sure you get picture plus. So you can add your own pictures to the cards and even make and design your own cards. They turn out really nice.

2. Get the Handwriting Package. So they can import your handwriting into their system and then you can actually TYPE your handwriting into the card... It's pretty slick.

Curious to hear more about your experience with them.
I've been with them for 5 years and the service rocks... If you're a business owner, this system is such a no brainer.

A few weeks back we had the Christmas Card threads... I can't believe people still purchase, fill out and mail all of these cards by hand.

With SOC you simply choose a card, personalize it with your logo/pics etc... Write your message and then hit SEND. It will go out to your entire list, personalizing each card with the individuals name/address.

Takes 5 minutes and LOOKS like you did them all by hand!

If you really have some special customers you can even send them gifts, cookies, brownies, American Express Cash Cards, Gift Cards to big box stores and restaurants as well. So simple...

Carl

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
We send a followup letter/card after the job is complete.
The card says thanks but also asks questions about their experience with us.

On a 1-10 rating how would you rate the following

Timeliness
Professionalism
Neatness
Quality of workmanship
Quality of materials used
Value of the finished product

These are just a few and you can add or delete other topics.

It helps to let the customer give you their feedback and shows them you haven't forgotten about them once the final check is cleared.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
I think supporting your local print shop is a good idea. Getting leads from them is bonus.

Can't say I don't buy on the internet, but it is a good idea for your business to be seen supporting the local economy. As far as thank you notes goes, doesn't it take away from the concept to have someone mail them for you? A large company with a huge customer list, might be a good idea. But most contractors wouldn't have that many to send out.

Good Luck,
Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts