Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I am in the midst of a remodel where one of the aspects of it is to update the service from 100 amp to 200 amp in order to accommodate a new split system central air.

Anyway, the electrician (first time I've used him too) has the new 200a meter base installed with 4/0 aluminum SEU cable (3 wire) coming into from the service mast. He then has 4/0 aluminum SER cable (4 wire) feeding up into the attic and over to the new 200a load center.

My concern is: he has, in the meter panel, attached both the bare conductor and the white colored conductor under the same lug (and yes with antioxidant grease). In the load center there are separate bars to attach both the bare wire and the white neutral wire, which he has done so, and has de-linked these bars from one another.

I may be misunderstanding something, ergo the reason I'm posting this here, but isn't the only time that the bare grounding wire and the white grounded wire can be tied together is when there is a service disconnect? The meter base has no such disconnect (breaker). I also thought a service feeder (the 4/0 SER cable) needed the protection of a breaker?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,825 Posts
Meter sockets rarely have a breaker. The only ones that do is when the distance to the panel is over a certain length.

As for the bonding issue, it could be a local POCO requirement. If it's wrong, the onus is on him to fix it.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
They let you set a new service without a disco?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,825 Posts
They let you set a new service without a disco?
If you have more than 6 breakers, a main is required. But the NEC does not dictate it has to be at the meter. SOP here is in the panel, typically in the garage or basement.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Meter sockets rarely have a breaker. The only ones that do is when the distance to the panel is over a certain length.

As for the bonding issue, it could be a local POCO requirement. If it's wrong, the onus is on him to fix it.
So, it would be okay to have the grounding and the grounded wire under the same lug in the meter socket?

And, btw, the distance to the load center is about 40 feet.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
Here the POCO requires the main disc to be outside, adjacent to the meter. Don't have my NEC with me but I believe 230-70 says service disc means needs to be outside or inside at the nearest point to the meter.

Is there inspections in your area?

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here the POCO requires the main disc to be outside, adjacent to the meter. Don't have my NEC with me but I believe 230-70 says service disc means needs to be outside or inside at the nearest point to the meter.

Yes.

And I do realize the onus to fix anything wrong is on him, but I was wondering about these things in order to kinda get an idea of what this little feller, or rather his work, was all about.

Just curious, have you ever been able to put the grounded and the grounding wire under the same lug in a meter base?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts

It's something like '6 steps' here...

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,825 Posts

VI. Service Equipment — Disconnecting Means
230.70 General.Means shall be provided to disconnect all conductors in a building or other structure from the service entrance conductors.
(A) Location. The service disconnecting means shall be in stalled in accordance with 230.70(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3).
(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.
Doesn't require the disco to be outside.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That would be a red tag here as that makes the connections inaccessible once the meter is locked.
That seems rather odd, in my opinion, as what do you do when, as in my instance, the load center where one would have access to said connection, is nearly 40 feet away. What is acceptable in your locale in such an instance? Run all the way from the load center to nearest point where a ground rod/s can be driven, and size the wire accordingly?

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will assume, due to liability issues, no one is able to answer my initial inquiry about putting the grounded and grounding wire together under the same lug. Ergo, I will also assume this has been done before.

I wished I had a copy of the NEC. It seems I will have to do just that at some point in the precedings.

Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,053 Posts
I recently did a similar job on my own house. Outside, I have the meter base and a disconnect immediately below it. The disconnect box is where the ground & neutral are tied together, and where the connection is made to the ground rods.

The main panel inside the house is actually a subpanel under those circumstances, and has ground and neutral separated.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,053 Posts
You can use both conductors under the same lug if the manufacturer designed it and has UL approval for such use. Generally, especially with such large conductors, they use separate lugs on the same buss.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,825 Posts
I will assume, due to liability issues, no one is able to answer my initial inquiry about putting the grounded and grounding wire together under the same lug. Ergo, I will also assume this has been done before........
That's a listing issue that only the manufacturer can answer.

Reactions: Jeff G

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great information, guys! Thanks again for the help! It certainly has cleared up some ambiguities I had.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts