Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning first call I get is from the Building official in a town where we are doing an addition. We Originally got a permit for building a small 2nd story addition and renovating the first floor. The owners decided to change the size of the addition on the 2nd floor. So we had to resubmit a new set of plans which the homeowners drew ;)

Both plans where approved by the zoning and building departments.
Now the problem is we just finished framing the Entire New 2nd story addition.
Now I get a call that they want us to raise the house after it was already all approved. We didn't do anything different from the original plan. So my question is, is this legal. Do I have to comply with this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant raise the foundation. Either way I got it straightened out, I quickly appeared that the inspector was desperatley searching for reasons. One of the thing that appeared to be his main concern was the barely working job-site radio that he estimated was worth $400.00. Apparently if the cost of the work is more than 50% or the total assessed value of the property we would have to the raise the elevation 8 inches. He searched for things that we did that were not on the plan. It was rather comical actually because they're were none. Even though he kept trying to find something. It is my opinion that the man did not know how to read a set of Blueprints. Maybe even reading in general was beyond his capabilities. I am still curious though What would happen if I got approved for all the permits and the house was 2 feet over a setback but they didn't catch it untill it was finished being built. Who would the liability fall on?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.