Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Handymen are people too
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy some vacant land up in far northeast PA. The township does not having zoning but they have code enforcement officers.

The PA UCC states:

(b) Exclusions and exemptions. The Uniform Construction Code does not apply to:

(3) The following structures if the structure has a building area less than 1,000 square feet and is accessory to a detached one-family dwelling except as might be required by an ordinance adopted under section 503 of the act (35 P. S. § 7210.503):

034 Pa. Code §*403.1.*Scope.

I want to put a small shed on the property to camp out in. So I don't need to have a permit for this? Is it still an "accessory building" if I don't have a main dwelling on the property?

thanks

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,070 Posts
You're really going to need to check with the AHJ there. While you could possibly make a case for the sole building being an accessory-type building, there could be other regulations governing what you can do. For instance, in my township, we are not allowed to build a "shed" that is more than 100 square feet. And we're allowed only one.

·
Handymen are people too
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're really going to need to check with the AHJ there. While you could possibly make a case for the sole building being an accessory-type building, there could be other regulations governing what you can do. For instance, in my township, we are not allowed to build a "shed" that is more than 100 square feet. And we're allowed only one.
They don't have a zoning department in that township. Aren't the zoning deparments the ones who set the rules on what you can and can't do on the property?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,070 Posts
They don't have a zoning department in that township. Aren't the zoning deparments the ones who set the rules on what you can and can't do on the property?
I honestly don't know the technical ins and outs, but we have zoning here and the zone is pretty much irrelevant regarding that particular rule. Maybe it's an ordinance instead.

Regardless, each locality within the state has the authority to modify the generalized state requirements, and only that AHJ can give you the real scoop. I'd be interested to hear what you find out.

·
Handymen are people too
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I honestly don't know the technical ins and outs, but we have zoning here and the zone is pretty much irrelevant regarding that particular rule. Maybe it's an ordinance instead.

Regardless, each locality within the state has the authority to modify the generalized state requirements, and only that AHJ can give you the real scoop. I'd be interested to hear what you find out.
I don't know the ins and outs but damn the research you have to do buying land is nuts. I'm going to make some calls tomorrow.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Back when I lived in Clarks Summit and in the family home inspection business we did a few inspections on some houses and cabins way out in Wayne county.
Some were so far off the beaten path they were hard to find.
The majority of them were built on piers.
Make some calls to Salem Twp and ask them what you can do and what you want to do.
Sometimes Twp's up there are more worried about the perc test than what actually gets built.
What about buying a older travel trailer and putting it there instead of a shed to camp out in?

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I'm looking to buy some vacant land up in far northeast PA. The township does not having zoning but they have code enforcement officers.

The PA UCC states:

(b) Exclusions and exemptions. The Uniform Construction Code does not apply to:

(3) The following structures if the structure has a building area less than 1,000 square feet and is accessory to a detached one-family dwelling except as might be required by an ordinance adopted under section 503 of the act (35 P. S. § 7210.503):

034 Pa. Code §*403.1.*Scope.

I want to put a small shed on the property to camp out in. So I don't need to have a permit for this? Is it still an "accessory building" if I don't have a main dwelling on the property?

thanks
The answer is there in black and white. The main building is a specific requirement outlined in the code you cited.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
There are usually some other options. I have no idea about your codes.
In some places if a shed has a wood floor and is on skids, it is considered different than if it has a foundation.
Also I have seen codes that won't let you build a garage on a vacant lot. What is legal, is building a garage and then tearing down an old house on the same lot. End result is the same.
Although you don't have the old house to tear down, I was just pointing out an option to an ordinance. Maybe there are options to your ordinaces also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts