Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions for you professional tile guys.

Is it over kill to use Kerdi over cement board? Or would the extra layer be a good idea.

Have any of you guys used Tru-gaurd? Is it as good or comparable to the Kerdi?

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
Cement board isn't waterproof so a waterproofing membrane, of some kind, is a must.

I have never used Tru-Gard but have read some stuff on different forums. Seems like they are just a knock off that will save you a few bucks. Problem is why risk it over a few bucks. Schluter isn't going anywhere, can't say the same about Tru-Gard.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I do a couple of showers a year and always use cement board under kerdi. I don't use there big ass curb so when I cement board my curb I take a piece of sand paper on a block and sand off the sharp corner of the cement board so the kerdi wraps around the curb nicer.
nicko

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
I don't think concrete board is overkill at all behind a membrane. When I did my first kerdi job many years ago I used drywall, paperless fiber matted drywall,...didn't like it. Even though Schluter says it's ok...I'll stick to CBU.
The way he worded it and then asked a question about a rip off product would suggest that he was asking about the waterproofing not the substrate.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
TNTSERVICES said:
The way he worded it and then asked a question about a rip off product would suggest that he was asking about the waterproofing not the substrate.
You could be right! Lol.
Never tried the stuff he talked about. I did use some prova- mat membrane on one job..., looked and installed like kerdi, it was just red. Usually though, their has to be a good reason to switch from preferred products. I've been using Laticrete stratamat vs. ditra as I like some of the improvements (able to see coverage underneath and the fact I can use what ever mortar I think is best)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys! You confirmed what I thought was right. I have seen guys tile right over the cement board and that didn't seem right to me. I have tiled floors and kitchen backsplashes and am wanting to do shower walls so I am doing some research before I start on this. I am a firm believer in doing it right the first time and doing it 100% professional. I agree TNT, cement board isn't water proof and you only have a layer of grout between the water and wall covering. A water proof membrane needs to be there. I watched a few of the Kerdi videos on YouTube and they put it up over sheetrock. While this can be done, according to the manufacturer, I would definitely go with cement board.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts