Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys i am in the process of renewing my truck insurance and i have come across something strange. When i got it last year they told me i was ok to tow my trailer on my private/personal insurance to and from work sites but nothing in my trailer was insured for loss.

Well this year they tell me that my truck insurance will be void if i have an accident and i am caught towing my work trailer. But i dont carry any tools in my turck. Then they said my truck dont need comercial insurance because i dont carry tools in the truck. How on earth do they expect me to move my trailer around if im uninsured when towing it???

These dam insurance companys dont make any sense. So im insured going to and from the site with my trailer last year but this year on exact same insurance im not! Do they class your truck as a work vehicle when towing a trailer full off tools even when there's no tools in the truck. Should i get different insurance? They are making this dam hard work to understand

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Huh? Im Confused. If your truck a personal expense or business expense? Isnt your work truck part of your company and part of your overhead? Ive never had a problem with my insurance company. My truck, although used for personal reasons at times, is a work vehicle.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I second what bam said. You should have comercial ins on your truck, for us it is way less to a vehiclel on a comercial policy than on a personal policy.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what im wondering but i cant get the same coverage i have for the same price i got my personal for. They also say that i cant use my work truck outside of normal work hours if using comercial. If i tell them im on call 24/7 it increase 4 fold in price because my truck could on the road 24/7 which increases risk.

I pay $600 a year for comprehensive with the highest limit on each coverage and a $150 deductable and new car expanded protection. She told me i cant get any higher coverage than what i have. Well i cant get that for comercial. Im having trouble getting below $500 deductable and limits are very low and they wont do new car expanded protection.

Dam insurance is a nightmere.

What are you guys paying commercial?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Call Geico. In Colorado they are very well priced and easy on all the red tape. Hopefully it's the same where you are located with them. But I agree with your insurance company, you can't have it both ways and they don't want to be screwed.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
At first my work truck was added on to my personal vehicle insurance...$288 yr. I got the broker to quote me comm truck ins at that time with the GL quote etc.

The next year at renewal I put the comm truck ins in place. 2 mil coverage, tools, materials carried to jobsite and driver of other vehicles. Now $1100 yr. I have a 1999 E - 250 runs and looks great. Had it repainted white at Macco 2 yrs ago.

Driver of other vehicles - covers you or your employees if you rent, use or borrow another vehicle for work purposes including your own personal vehicle.

If you have personal ins only for your work vehicle and you have a problem they're not going to cover you...? Then what ?

My broker said if you have a work vehicle with a sign on it, tools, etc you're eventually going to need comm truck ins. So now I have it.

Somebody's confused on your end. You or your broker ? Get the right answers and then just get comm truck ins. Regardless, its your responsibility to have the right coverage. How do you sleep at night ?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I feel your frustration with dealing with an insurance company. I would shop around a bit, call a broker that represents more than one company and have him shop your ins. I switched to commercial ins when I was 20 because they do not look at your age and it cut my truck ins. in half. I also was worried about after hours use and they said once it is insured it's insured. Comercial ins. is a bit more stream lined, most personal policys cover new car purchases for 30 days and cover rental cars ect. and my comercial does not. It may be different where you live as the laws chang state to state. My ins is all rolled in to one, liablity, inland marine (tool theft) and auto. I shop mine every three years just to make sure my company is staying inline.

·
Registered
318 Posts
What percentage do you use your truck for business vs. personal? Ideally you should have commercial coverage but depending on the percentage and type of business use some private insurance companies will insure the vehicle and trailer (may not be in the amounts you require to fully cover yourself), but the tools will still have to go on a separate policy. You really need to sit down with your agent and discuss this matter. Your best option obviously is to limit your truck to business use only and use another vehicle for personal use. This also simplifies things where taxes are concerned as well. I don't see why you would be offering 24/7 service as a remodeler. This seems absurd to me.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What percentage do you use your truck for business vs. personal? Ideally you should have commercial coverage but depending on the percentage and type of business use some private insurance companies will insure the vehicle and trailer (may not be in the amounts you require to fully cover yourself), but the tools will still have to go on a separate policy. You really need to sit down with your agent and discuss this matter. Your best option obviously is to limit your truck to business use only and use another vehicle for personal use. This also simplifies things where taxes are concerned as well. I don't see why you would be offering 24/7 service as a remodeler. This seems absurd to me.

Yep thats what i had. ends in 10 days. They insured me for private because truck was used mainly after work hours and at weekends. Trailer was insured if attached to the truck when towing but tools were not. off to see her again about this in person as it's hard to understand. Seems like now i cant tow the trailer and be insured in work hours but it's fine after work hours. Only problem with the comercial is they dont cover you after work hours for private use unless you pay a massive premium for 24/7 use. Which is why i brought up 24/7 usesage policy. We have 6 work trucks in our familey buisness that all have to be insured this way. So we dont let the guys take them home. So beware guys. If you have company vehicles and you let your guys drive them after work hours they may not be insured.

Thanks for the advice guys

P.S Hey get this. i just got of phone to insurance company for a claim 5 mins ago on my mirror and had to take a lie detector test on the phone. :eek: Any of you ever had to do that. He said it's standard with the larger insurance companys to do this. :eek:

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Nope my truck is insured as personal use. Has nothing to do with the company. It may do one day but at the moment it's not. At the time of purchase i didnt have my buisness setup and it's stayed the same ever since.
If you use the truck to go to jobs, then it needs to be insured that way.

If you improperly insure the vehicle and have an accident, they can deny coverage and return your premiums plus interest, minus any claims they have paid in the past.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
You should have a seperate policy on each of your trailers, it will not cover the contenets, but it will cover the trailer.

A business policy would cover your tools and equipment.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you use the truck to go to jobs, then it needs to be insured that way.

If you improperly insure the vehicle and have an accident, they can deny coverage and return your premiums plus interest, minus any claims they have paid in the past.

Thats why i have to get this sorted before i have to renew. They cant do it the way i have it at the moment. Im also not buying another car just to have as a vehicle to use out of work time. Might have to go for the dam 24/7 coverage.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right i have just got back from insurance agent and all is sorted. I can keep my current policy for personal use and they just rename it for business use so i can use it for both. No increase in premium either but i now have to have a separate policy for trailer and tools. Reason being is so many trailers were becoming disconnected from the tow vehicle that they had to have a policy for just the trailer. If trailer hit a car whilst on the truck then i would be covered but if trailer come disconnected from truck then hit something i wouldn't be covered. Simple after she explained it in person. She said even if i had the commercial policy the trailer would still have to have it's own insurance to be covered when not connected to truck. So it's now covered for leaving at sites with tools in and covers me for tools in customers houses. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BC - what are they charging you for the trailer and tools? pm me if you don't want this public.

Thanks, John

I will let you know as soon as i send her my trailer vin number. She is going to get me the price in the morning but the trailer will be about $45-$50 a year ontop of my truck premium. No idea about tools yet.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Call Geico.

I have given geico a chance each year to take my buisness as they are a lot closer to me and they can never beat Allstate. They want over $900 year when allstate wanted $600. They keep sending me mail saying that they will beat any price but they never can. They always have some excuse like we dont offer that so we dont have to match or beat that price. We was gonna insure our boat with them as well but boy oh boy they were expensive. Plus after dealing with Allstates clamis service im pretty impressed with the ease of claiming. They also dont require me to have any record of tools that were on the trailer. If i insure upto $10k they will replace anything i say went missing upto $10k. I dont know if this is normal thing for US insurance companys but i thought thats a great idea.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts