Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a customer who is a nice lady but way wierd. She wants her 2 car garage concrete floor redone. I have mentioned several options such as the type of epoxies you use for garage floors and the different rubber tile systems. She wants something beautiful and suggested marble, slate, or travertine tile. I told you she was wierd. I told her that I usually sub out any tile jobs but she wants me to do it. For you tile guys, are any of these even remotely suitable for a garage floor. I already warned her that they would have to be textured so that they aren't slick when wet. The other question is will the tile crack or break? I assume they would due to the repeated weight of having cars parked on them. Any suggestions or advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've seen some really good looking stamped concrete drive ways maybe you could sell her on some thing like that. It has the eye appeal and the function.

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
I'm having a hard time taking this thread seriously. You could do a faux marble with an apoxy finish on a garage floor. There are some really cool products on the market today that would enable you to do this. Run a search to see what you can come up with. I don't know how creative you are or what abilities you have, but tile on a garage floor is fubar.

Reactions: Workaholic

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
There is certainly nothing wrong with her idea, only your mind. Have you never been to an auto dealership, man?

Just choose the appropriate tile & grout and you are off to the races.

·
The Remodeler
1,536 Posts
Dusty-

Tile on a garage floor is not so wrong... Generally, those that want to do it aren't driving an '82 Chevy that leaks oil all over..

I've used a suitable unglazed porcelain and a quarry tile. Both exceptionally durable, and able to withstand the weight of a car. Proper prep work is required, and getting a flat floor can take a little extra work since most garage slabs I've seen are never finished very well.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
I did a job once for a woman who had her garage carpeted, not junk carpet, properly installed, expensive carpet. It was clean and well cared for. The inside of the garage was like a museum. She had the walls lined with antique ladies hats on elegant polished brass hat holders. Yes, she parked her car in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts