Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Framing is not my specialty so I have a question about framing a wall in my basement? The floor joist is far from the wall so where would i attach the wall to once i put it up? Thanks all you suggestions and help!
heres a couple pictures
IMAG0367.jpg

IMAG0368.jpg

IMAG0369.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
You can attach some blocking perpendicular to the bottom of the joists if your keeping that drop ceiling. Then you can attach the top plate to the blocks. If the drop ceiling is being taken out, you could attach a few blocks to the block wall with tapcons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WARREN:Yea, I'm removing the drop ceiling and putting a drywall ceiling. I was thinking bout attaching blocks perpendicular just as said also.

Knucklehead: The widow and wall is about a foot away from the joist so if i put up the framing the top won't be attached to anything unless i add blocking? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks for taking your time guys to reply!:thumbup:

·
Registered
541 Posts
The stud wall isn't going to be bearing, so there's no reason it can't just be attached to the block wall. You do need to put something up on the edge of the ceiling to screw drywall to though.

·
Registered
683 Posts
You have a few different options:

- you can block back from the joist to the window wall this will give you something solid to nail to aswell as provide drywall backing

- if I'm just doing frostwalls and ceiling is not being drywalled I will with nail a block to the ladder on the flat to the ladder (I don't think this is an option for you.)

Your best option is to probably make a few L's. PL the back of them and hilti them to the wall either right below the top plate or beside a stud. Make sure you level from sided to side before you set the L in place.

Attached are a few pictures hopefully that's helpful.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts