Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone knows the significance of having a ditch on your land on its blueprints. this is a new construction home and i was wondering if these ditches are usually filled or what

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
In some rural areas with high water tables, I have seen many ditches intentionally dug at the property line. The purpose is for proper water draininge so neighbors don't share water and if one's grade is higher than the other, the one with the lower grade won't have a flooded basement every time it rains.

I don't know the purpose or location of your ditch so I can't comment, but that's the extent of my knowledge when it comes to ditches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anybody know how to line such a ditch so weeds don't grow up in them?
It would also make mowing along the edges much easier and reduce weed whacking along them.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
How big is the ditch? Slope? Who made it? Where does it go?
Most of the ditches here are for flood control and the couny maintains them, usually with herbacides.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mike Finley said:
Grass seed?
============
Grass has the same problems that weeds do in that you still have to mow it and trim it along the edges of the ditches.
That's is what i'm trying to elimanate or reduce doing.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Google "ditch liner" and "ditch liner, plastic"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
How big is the ditch? Slope? Who made it? Where does it go?
Most of the ditches here are for flood control and the couny maintains them, usually with herbacides.

How big is the ditch?
1*Slope? Who made it? Where does it go?
2*Most of the ditches here are for flood control and the county maintains them, usually with herbacides.
Teetorbilt
=========
1*My home site and yard Is surrounded by a slope on three sides.
The ditch is at the base of the slopes and goes along the back and down both sides where both ends of the ditch empties into the road ditch fronting the property.

I had it dug back in 1971 when I had the 2.33 acres graded off.
It keeps the water run off from the slopes away from the home site and my yard.
The ditch is 16" wide.
The back is about 250 to 275 fee long and the 2 sides are about 175 to 200 feet long each.

2*Mine is a private ditch on private property-so it's up to me maintain it.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Hold on, did Ib59 just say "the edge of the ditch starts at ground level then eases down from there to the lowest point in the middle. It runs along for awhile until it stops."

UH?:cheesygri

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Glass! I thought that you were on your way to Athens, GA.
Ib59, THAT'S a ditch? A leetle ditch around here is 15-20 ft. wide and 4-6 ft. deep.
You could split 16" PVC pipe, my preferred method.
Spray it with RoundUp but you would have an erosion problem.
There are liners like Pipe said but you will have to secure them in some way.
You could also line it with concrete.
I guess it all boils down to your budget.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
lb59 said:
The ditch is 16" wide.
The back is about 250 to 275 fee long and the 2 sides are about 175 to 200 feet long each.
I don't know what you want it to look like but you could buy 50' rolls of 24" wide silt fence (without preattached stakes), roll it out on the ditch line and fasten it with sod staples. The fence is made of black, woven, geotextile fabric and typically has UV protection. I've seen 5 year old, fully intact, silt fence that's had continuous exposure to the elements. Material cost shouldn't be more than $300. (Spray it once a year with used motor oil for good measure :cheesygri)

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Pipe, you didn't say 'used motor oil' in this day and age did you?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Give me just a little credit, would you? The cheesygrin was supposed to indicate my jest. I would never advocate such an environmentally disastrous act.
NOTICE: DISPOSE OF ALL PETROLEUM and PETRO-CHEMICAL PRODUCTS IN ACCORDANCE WITH ALL LOCAL, STATE and FEDERAL guidelines and regulations!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would either regrade the ditch and make it a surface waterway that could be seeded and mowed like the rest of the lawn or have a ditching contractor ,using a lazer, put in 6" corrugated plastic tile with a pea gravel backfill and three or four 6" surface inlets, fill back to a level grade and reseed and then mow.

Teetor, you're right this is not a ditch. We plow deeper than this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts