Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Remodeler
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was watching the tile contractor grout a kitchen back splash today. He said he would be back tomorrow to caulk. He said he will apply silicone along the counter top over today's grout. I was wondering if anyone else does this? How about inside a tiled shower wall? Thanks for any reply.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I've seen people do it. You shouldn't grout change of planes (I.E. countertop to backsplash) as it will eventually crack. I don't think the silicone over the grout actually works (assuming clear and sanded, colored), although I've seen people do it.

The prefererred method (for me) is to caulk the plane changes with a color matched silicone or sanded silicone.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I don't know about silicone color matched caulk, it's kinda new, I prefer the latex color match, not for shower.
My problem is coming back the next day just to caulk, not happening, it's getting caulked same day as grout and the joint should be clean and empty.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I don't know about silicone color matched caulk, it's kinda new, I prefer the latex color match, not for shower.
My problem is coming back the next day just to caulk, not happening, it's getting caulked same day as grout and the joint should be clean and empty.
I've used both colored silicone and colored siliconized latex. I've seen grout turn green when the tile setter used clear caulk over the grout the same day.

I'm usually still on the job the following day, I wouldn't want to go back to the job just to caulk either.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I mostly do floors, the soft joints we caulk with the sil/latex caulk, it's shrinks with a 3/16" joint.
Also I think silicone attracts and dirt sticks to it.
The places where caulk should have been used usually shows a hairline crack, if you take notice of these cracks you will eventually know all places that should have caulking instead of hard grout.

Tile Floor Flooring Wheel

Tile Room Floor Bathroom Flooring

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
olzo55 said:
Mike, How do you like the battery operated caulk gun?
I was gonna sell it, takes some getting use to, that job was 20 tubes and we removed the joints at 12' intervals and were out of there in 6 hours. The grout joint /tuck point saw with dust extraction worked very well.
I think the Milwaukee battery powered caulk gun might be better designed by a YouTube video I saw, but I didn't need precision cause the grout float was followed up. One battery did the job with ease so there's not much draw.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts