Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
A stickler for excellence
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend gave me a couple of leads who are looking for cabinets. We tend to deal with home owners who found us via word of mouth, and its very rare that I call on a builder to request info.

My question is, whats a good way to call and ask to bid the work of builders? I was thinking something along of the lines of "My name is so-and-so with x company, I got your name from y who told me you were looking for cabinets for your upcoming jobs, and I'd like to submit a bid". Then ask the usual questions that I always ask about the project. Obviously this content need some refinement but thats the foundation.

Is this an okay approach or is there a better way to go about asking for permission to bid a project?

·
Remodeling Contractor
248 Posts
Word of mouth referrals make the best customers but it's hard to control the amount of work you contract.
It seems to me your starting to think how can I get more customers?
Cold calling builders may or may not work, all they care about is price.
Marketing and sales are two things you must do to have a steady cash flow.
I suggest making a website and invest your advertising money in the website.
Also canvass the neighborhood where you do work.
Good Luck

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Well, since these are direct referrals these are pretty easy. A lot different then cold calling. You're going to establish instant rapport right of the bat by introducing yourself as a friend/business associate of the common person.

From there it's always the same focus on whats in it for the builder.

If your friend knows the builders it would be a good idea to quiz him about why they might be interested in your services. Most GCs already have sources for everything so its a good idea to learn anything you can. Maybe one of them lost a cabinet source and is looking to find another. As you can see it all depends on the circumstances. If this is just a- you friend knows somebody who is going to be buying cabinets and that's all this is then it's much different then your friend knows somebody who was buying cabinets from XXX for 10 years and the turn around times and quality of service has been detriorating for the last year and he is sick of it and open to a new souce.

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are bidding for home builders, be prepared to make little or no money on the job & then wait 30-90 days for payment on the little or no money you just did or did not make.
While I appreciate the thoughts, if you're not making money and you have to wait 90 days for builders to pay, you're doing it wrong. I've worked with a lot of builders large and small whose work I got through word of mouth, my margins were quite good and they paid upon delivery of the cabinets just as the contract required.

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, since these are direct referrals these are pretty easy. A lot different then cold calling. You're going to establish instant rapport right of the bat by introducing yourself as a friend/business associate of the common person.

From there it's always the same focus on whats in it for the builder.

If your friend knows the builders it would be a good idea to quiz him about why they might be interested in your services. Most GCs already have sources for everything so its a good idea to learn anything you can. Maybe one of them lost a cabinet source and is looking to find another. As you can see it all depends on the circumstances. If this is just a- you friend knows somebody who is going to be buying cabinets and that's all this is then it's much different then your friend knows somebody who was buying cabinets from XXX for 10 years and the turn around times and quality of service has been detriorating for the last year and he is sick of it and open to a new souce.

This is really good stuff, thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts