Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read alot of the forums about "lead services" like service magic, but has anybody dealt with bid clerk?? I have looked at there web site a couple of times and wondered if this is just another lead service. Just looking for some input.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
It's not a "lead service", in that you don't pay for leads- you pay for access to all of the projects listed on their service. Whether it's going to work for you or not will depend on your area, and who's posting projects there. There's tons of listings here in Atlanta for just about any type of contractor, but the Michigan market may be entirely different.

It can't hurt to sign up for a month and check it out- I believe it's only around $50/month on a month-to-month basis.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm signing up for the 5 day trial for $10:thumbsup:

I tlooks my area is mostly HUGE new buildings. I just focus on additions and remodeling, but I'm still going to sign up so I can make some calls. I figure $10 is worth getting a feel for the market.

Do you think customers advertise in multiple places with multiple brokers or do you think the typical customer just signs up with one site and lets a few contractors bid?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The truth? You get what you pay for.

Just like everything else, these leads companies are making a lot of cut backs. They think a computer program (spider) which crawls the net and grabs leads is good enough for their subscribers.

It ain't.

Feel free to try BidClerk, but see it for what it is... Take any project they have, and run it through Google and you'll begin to see how "valuable" they are.

The real test is this:

Call any lead company and ask about two or three private sector projects (make it tough by asking for residential projects which rarely get published anywhere). If they have living human beings reporting on genuine work, they should have at least two of the three jobs posted on their service. Yeah they're a lot more expensive, but worth every penny.

So if it sounds too good to be true, it likely is.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The truth? You get what you pay for.

Just like everything else, these leads companies are making a lot of cut backs. They think a computer program (spider) which crawls the net and grabs leads is good enough for their subscribers.

It ain't.

Feel free to try BidClerk, but see it for what it is... Take any project they have, and run it through Google and you'll begin to see how "valuable" they are.

The real test is this:

Call any lead company and ask about two or three private sector projects (make it tough by asking for residential projects which rarely get published anywhere). If they have living human beings reporting on genuine work, they should have at least two of the three jobs posted on their service. Yeah they're a lot more expensive, but worth every penny.

So if it sounds too good to be true, it likely is.
Solid advice about calling about residential jobs in the area. However, I would not use price alone as a litmus test. I do agree that subscriptions to lists of leads are probably overpriced for the amount of time they save, but I think $10 over 5 days is well worth it. I will use your advice, though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Being new to the "contracting" instead of just working for someone, it is nice to get good information from "fellow" contractors. THANK YOU

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use Service Magic for a lead provider with a low budget, BUT I'd say only 30% of those leads are actually worth anything. Some are fake information, some are just browsing, and then you compete with up to 4 others from service magic for the project, not to mention if the homeowner calls around too. I don't make much overall at it, but it promotes my business and gives me repeat customers which is where I make money. I wouldnt expect lead generating companies to give you a get rich quick atmosphere. Maybe a few years ago it may have seemed like it. With my sub-contract work, Service Magic, and my own grass roots advertising, I do well. I could do without service magic, but I see it as another avenue for spreading the word. I wouldnt recommend it to someone starting out because with my criteria, I pay up to $50 for one lead. If you are new, you may not have the capital to make that type of investment.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use Service Magic for a lead provider with a low budget, BUT I'd say only 30% of those leads are actually worth anything. Some are fake information, some are just browsing, and then you compete with up to 4 others from service magic for the project, not to mention if the homeowner calls around too. I don't make much overall at it, but it promotes my business and gives me repeat customers which is where I make money. I wouldnt expect lead generating companies to give you a get rich quick atmosphere. Maybe a few years ago it may have seemed like it. With my sub-contract work, Service Magic, and my own grass roots advertising, I do well. I could do without service magic, but I see it as another avenue for spreading the word. I wouldnt recommend it to someone starting out because with my criteria, I pay up to $50 for one lead. If you are new, you may not have the capital to make that type of investment.
How often do you close with SM?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts