Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a plumber by trade, so please cut me some slack.

What is the standard thread size for a sink strainer under the counter?
Is there a fitting that is threaded female on one size and smooth female on the others that I can glue in schedule 40 PVC?

Machine Pipe Gas Metal

I want to replace the metal tailpiece but want to use a fitting that will allow me to connect to all schedule 40 p trap avoiding the thinner walled PVC tailpieces. I can't seem to find one that will thread right on to the sink strainer thread at HD.

Any input is appreciated.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
The strainer is 1½" pipe thread, but it is not tapered like a normal pipe thread because it is not designed to be used as a pipe thread. You can get commercial strainers that have a tapered thread on them, nice heavy brass ones, you will pay for them though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not sure why you would want to get rid of the metal pipe or what you are ultimately after, but here's a way to get close to what it sounds like you want.

Go get a glue on 1 1/2" trap adapter. Leave the metal, but cut it off to about two inches and then build your PVC P-trap and whatever else.

Text Line Font Screenshot Diagram

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
You want to replace a metal tail piece...but avoid a thin walled plastic tail piece.

Solution, keep the metal one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.