Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We did a complete restoration of this late 1800's Queen Ann style home. The house was fairly weathered and had most spindle and rail work was rotted beyond repair. The roof was structurally sound but needed to have the shingles replaced. Poor guttering caused major dry rot on one side of the house which had to be reworked and a larger guttering system installed.
We stripped the paint down to raw wood Cyprus siding, replacing damaged siding as needed. We copied spindles and trim work from originals to replace the damaged or missing pieces. We installed a new roof, guttering, and did a very detailed 3 color paint job. Hand carved newel posts were copied and replaced in a couple areas

Check us out on Facebook!
Barco Construction and Design
Doniphan MO
www.barcocd.com

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We love doing restoration! Oddly enough, the demand just isn't here. We live in a small town full of historic houses, and a very historic downtown. We just implemented a Historic Preservation Board for our downtown area about a month ago. My parents are both on the board. They own, what was part of the old hospital that was originally downtown. My mom's yoga studio and my dad's wood shop are in the two bottom store fronts and they have an apartment upstairs. Recently our construction companies office moved into the next space on their street. It was the first bank in our town. My dad and I have worked over the past year to restore it. It was in very rough shape when he bought it. It even still has the vault in it. It's very ornate. We use it for files now. I'll have to share some pictures of our progress on it. (Sorry for the history lesson I just really love restoration!) :)

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Nice job...:thumbsup:

don't take this personally , just my opinion - but I don't believe that is classified as a queen Ann style piece of architecture........

This is an elaborate structure in Omaha ,
http://www.cityofomaha.org/planning/landmarks/images/stories/styles/queen_anne/ed_zab_44.jpg

They are plastered throughout Buffalo, NY...http://www.buffaloah.com/a/archsty/queen/source/7.html..,

what you were working looks more like a contemporary style structure ....:blink:

None the less - You did a great job,...:thumbsup:

B,

·
Registered
Remodel
31,189 Posts
FWIW, with the tall, skinny windows and especially with some of them doubled, I always think Italianate first. Looks great!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you're right. It does look more Italianate. Thanks for the info! I looked at some other queen an style homes online. VERY INTRICATE! I just realized I didn't post the finished photo. The porch wasn't completely finished. here are some finished photos. My dad carved the detail in the posts by hand. He wanted the inconsistency in the design to match he existing ones

Check us out on Facebook
Barco Construction and Design
Doniphan MO

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts