Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my first job with the Quartz lock and everything seemed to go fine, I really like the product. The tiles are a light colored porcelain and I can see a few shiny spots here and there. There's no sandy residue just a shine in a few areas that won't scrub off. Does anyone have a suggestion for cutting it? or am I screwed?

Any help appreciated, Thanks

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Wow, wish you would have read my many posts about how important it is to clean thoroughly when installing.

Try some orange clean with a white scrub pad. If that doesn't work, try getting some Blaze from StarQuartz. Praying at this point might help too...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, wish you would have read my many posts about how important it is to clean thoroughly when installing.

Try some orange clean with a white scrub pad. If that doesn't work, try getting some Blaze from StarQuartz. Praying at this point might help too...
Really tried to be thorough. If you could link me to one of your threads on cleaning that would be great.
The spots aren't awful, but I notice them at times when the light hits it just right. Thanks

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Really tried to be thorough. If you could link me to one of your threads on cleaning that would be great.
The spots aren't awful, but I notice them at times when the light hits it just right. Thanks
Just do a search (angus quartzlock)
or do an advanced search; (user: angus242, keywords: quartzlock, cleaning, section: ceramic & stone tile)

Or try to take a microfiber cloth slightly wet and scrub your ass off. As long as scratching the surface isn't an issue, that may work too.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I assume you have called Quartz Lock for their recommendations. You could try a google search for" urethane cleaners" and see what information that brings up. Also,I know they are different products and formulas but maybe try the epoxy remover products.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I can't remember right now, but read somewhere that you need an alcohol based cleaner. Look into it though, don't take this as fact.

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
StarQuartz only recommends the following for Haze removal (Other than their Blaze product):

Aqua Mix Heavy-Duty Tile and Grout Cleaner, Miracle Tile & Stone Cleaner, or DuPont StoneTech Professional KlenzAll Cleaner on a white scrubby Doodlebug cleaning pad, rubbing the tile lightly to remove any remaining urethane haze, then using a damp sponge and clean water, wipe the surface to remove the film remover (do not flood surface with cleaner). Finish by drying the tile surface with a clean towel or cloth.

·
Banned
1 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my ceramic tiles on my kitchen wall and successfully got rid of the shiny spots!

It was only visible from an angle when the light hit the tiles.

I used a Scotch Brite to gently rub the surface of the tiles that had the spots on. Just put some water on the Scotch Brite and rub it, then wipe out with a towel.

My tiles were pretty matte and not too glossy, so there were no scratches left or anything. The Scotch Brite are pretty smooth, so I don't think it would scratch a glossy tile, but I haven't tried it.

Good luck with those who face the same issue in the future! My tiles look awesome!

·
Banned
3,020 Posts
Cleaning Quartz Lock 2

Cleaning Quartz Lock 2

Three Words "Micro Fiber Rags".

I had only used Micro Fiber Rags on a few jobs before and never with them being "Wet". I followed Angus's install guidelines and tried his technique with a damp micro fiber rag and this one step was the total bomb.

I used this technique on my ceramic counter tiles, my counter drain, my niche detail with marble and glass tile and the job came out flawless.

I wish I followed more closely on the Island as it took me forever to get clean and the rest of the job was a piece of cake. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Cleaning Quartz Lock 2

Three Words "Micro Fiber Rags".

I had only used Micro Fiber Rags on a few jobs before and never with them being "Wet". I followed Angus's install guidelines and tried his technique with a damp micro fiber rag and this one step was the total bomb.
John, just to be clear, I:
first pass clean with Raimondi epoxy sponge
second pass clean with barely damp micro fiber cloth
third pass with dry micro fiber cloth

I wait about 5 mins between each step.

·
Banned
3,020 Posts
When I used the wet Micro Fiber Cloth I total rinsed it out and rang it hard till I could not get a drop of water out.

I would say my cloth was more than damp - it worked great for me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts