Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Sorry, but you aren't making any sense.

Unless you have a 100% guarantee that you will land every single job that is a repeat customer, then you can't be paid for you time by building it into the proposed job.

In the end, it's your policy, make it however you want.

You either charge to weed, or you charge to be paid for you time. If you are doing the latter then you charge everyone, because that's the only way to be paid for you time, cause you don't land every single repeat and referral. If your policy is I charge "here and there", then just make it up as you go along and charge whomever you want whenever you want as each case comes along.

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
If you knew my clients and my business, I am making perfect sense. I am not talking about every single repeat customer i have ever had. I'm talking about the ones that year after year have some project for me to do. maybe it's every 2-3 years, but either way, I know I have the job.

Talk to Greg Di, he doesn't charge for every single customer either. he uses his gut, he's stated that many many times. for me, for jobs I know I have, there is no reason to charge for the 75 bucks to come out, because I can add many many times that in my office and travel time into the bid.
So it's not all one way or all the other way. If a customer from 8 years ago who I haven't heard from in that time period calls me, they are getting charged, but if is the two sisters who call me up and say, what is the cost of this job, or how much are these windows going to cost me, and they never question my price, they aren't getting charged for a site visit.
It's not a problem charging people I don't know.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
If a customer from 8 years ago who I haven't heard from in that time period calls me, they are getting charged, but if is the two sisters who call me up and say, what is the cost of this job, or how much are these windows going to cost me, and they never question my price, they aren't getting charged for a site visit.
Sounds like you've figured out the answer to your own question. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
419 Posts
1) Web lead
2) Needs to start project ASAP and needs pricing ASAP
3) Not sure on what materials they want to build with
4) Nice town. Snotty town. Mediocre section of town. Ie, not best part.
5) Attorney
6) Indian

Tell me what you would do with this lead.
1) send an email back and ask for best contact number and best contact time.
2) asap customers are always bad prospects. i just ask a few questions to make sure it is worth my time.
3) ask what their budget is.
4) ask what their budget is. even people in bad neighborhoods need work.
5) what is wrong with attorneys?
6) treat them like normal customers. i close more indians than jews

·
Registered
120 Posts
6) Indian

Tell me what you would do with this lead.
Racist much?

How do you treat Indians compared to an Italian like yourself? Don't you find them to be "overly-emotional, melodramatic, plebeian, superstitious, hot-blooded, aggressive, traditionalistic, obsessed with food, and prone to vengeance?" ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Italianism

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes I do. But they also pay the contract price that they signed. The don't negotiate after the fact.
That's weird. I've had folks from every color of the rainbow try that, including those filthy, spaghetti-sucking, Gabba-goo-loving Italians!

Eight-page contract wins every time, baby!

P.S. - it's especially effective against that scourge you listed in #5

61 - 69 of 69 Posts