Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:clap:I am a Class A General Contractor in Virginia and would like to Qualify a Company, do you guys have any idea as to how much I can charge per month? I am no longer in business and currently doing Construction Project Management, so I figured... Hey why not renting the license and make an extra money. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I do not understand what "Qualify a Company" means... if it means to hire out your License#, then I don't thank that is legit. But if the company hires you and you provide the proper license for that company (since you are "full time") I guess that would work.

Have been asked to do such things myself, but didn't think that it was the "right" thing to do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not understand what "Qualify a Company" means... if it means to hire out your License#, then I don't thank that is legit. But if the company hires you and you provide the proper license for that company (since you are "full time") I guess that would work.

Have been asked to do such things myself, but didn't think that it was the "right" thing to do.
Hi there...
I don't know which State you are in but here in Northern Virginia, I can qualify two companies to become a Class A General Contractor by having me, a qualifying agent (someone who has passed all the Class A Tests) as an agent or employee. Virginia Law allows me to qualify two companies only, since you can only work 16 hours a day (8+8). So let's say you have the money and the desire to open a General Construction Company but you can't build... you don't know much about construction... but you have the money to open a company, advertise, etc... In order for you to seek business as a General Contractor here in Va you have to have someone within your company that has passed The Class A Tests... Once that person is qualified as a GC he/she can then qualify any company he wants as long as it doesn't exceed more than two company! It is legit through out the Country actually, some States may have different law governing the Contractors... Best, Alex

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
As the qualifier you're responsible for everything covered by your license - the legality of the contracts, the execution of the work, worker safety, EPA rules, the whole shebang. If you "rent your license" to a company and they screw up, you're the one left holding the bag.

The risks are high - what kind of company wants to rent a license? Companies with people who couldn't pass the license exam; companies with people who've lost their licenses; companies with people who can't keep a real RME. It's not free money.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As the qualifier you're responsible for everything covered by your license - the legality of the contracts, the execution of the work, worker safety, EPA rules, the whole shebang. If you "rent your license" to a company and they screw up, you're the one left holding the bag.

The risks are high - what kind of company wants to rent a license? Companies with people who couldn't pass the license exam; companies with people who've lost their licenses; companies with people who can't keep a real RME. It's not free money.
I am not a handyman, with that in mind, as a General Contractor, my primary job is to manage personnel from different trades... Plumbers, electricians...HVAC, etc... They all have to be licensed and we share the profit and the burden, that's the nature of the business... You won't make money if you don't risk, you just need to measure the risks and pick and choose your fights... Liability is part of the business my friend... Turner... Clark... big companies, don't you think they take a risk? I have a handyman guy that works for me from time to time to do punch list... etc... He is a good man, but he is sooo afraid of taking risks that he told me he rather be a handyman than to take risks... In my opinion he limits himself by hiding from world and the consequences of that is that he limits himself and his annual income because he does think small. Liability is part of construction business!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I am not a handyman, with that in mind, as a General Contractor, my primary job is to manage personnel from different trades... Plumbers, electricians...HVAC, etc... They all have to be licensed and we share the profit and the burden, that's the nature of the business... You won't make money if you don't risk, you just need to measure the risks and pick and choose your fights... Liability is part of the business my friend... Turner... Clark... big companies, don't you think they take a risk? I have a handyman guy that works for me from time to time to do punch list... etc... He is a good man, but he is sooo afraid of taking risks that he told me he rather be a handyman than to take risks... In my opinion he limits himself by hiding from world and the consequences of that is that he limits himself and his annual income because he does think small. Liability is part of construction business!
What does managing subcontractors have to do with it? You said you were going to rent your license to someone.

Turner, etc., have RMEs and RMOs, who are real employees and officers, with real responsibilities. I have talked with the RMEs and RMOs of big organizations, and they do not think of themselves as renting their licenses.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
Apparently this "qualifying" garbage is acceptable in several states and for some reason perfectly legal.

My opinion is that both the license lessor and lessee in this type of arrangement are both exploiting the system in one way or another.

I'm glad it isn't allowed in my state.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow... I am new on this and sure can't spend too much time on one topic... needless to say I don't have time for face___ and other related social media. Anyway, I am not sure if I should continue with this topic but truth of the mater is... A lot of us in construction is way being information... Most of the States here up-north, the city that is... Do what we call third party inspections... From electrical inspections all the way up to plan review... If you guys don't know... the Federal Government is the pioneer in outsourcing too and the States are following that path, rather we like it or not guys... the world is changing and the way I look at, even the Cave Man went through evolution and we in construction just need to adapt or stay a small contractor for the rest of our lives!

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
Wow... I am new on this and sure can't spend too much time on one topic... needless to say I don't have time for face___ and other related social media. Anyway, I am not sure if I should continue with this topic but truth of the mater is... A lot of us in construction is way being information... Most of the States here up-north, the city that is... Do what we call third party inspections... From electrical inspections all the way up to plan review... If you guys don't know... the Federal Government is the pioneer in outsourcing too and the States are following that path, rather we like it or not guys... the world is changing and the way I look at, even the Cave Man went through evolution and we in construction just need to adapt or stay a small contractor for the rest of our lives!
I didn't follow some of that due to a few instances of grammar issues. Anyhow, we all know you are busy so perhaps you should get back to doing whatever it is you are doing. I'll just stay a dependable and successful dinosaur and handle my own licensing.

Damn whipper snappers!:laughing:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Apparently this "qualifying" garbage is acceptable in several states and for some reason perfectly legal.

My opinion is that both the license lessor and lessee in this type of arrangement are both exploiting the system in one way or another.

I'm glad it isn't allowed in my state.
The "qualifying garbage" is simply that in states with contractor licensing, a contracting business has to have an owner or employee or an officer with a license, who "qualifies" the company to do contracting work, and who bears the responsibility for the work being done right. If you have licensing requirements, how else would a business do it? The giant engineering companies have RMEs and RMOs - individuals with all the flavors of licenses needed to operate in particular states.

The way it repeatedly comes up here on C.T. is that people just want to rent their license, and skirt the legal requirement to supervise the contracting work. It happens a lot in Florida and California, two states with strict licensing laws. That's generally a violation of a state's contracting law, but people often get away with it, because the state really can't tell if you're just renting your license or actually working in the business. When the SHTF the RME loses his license and gets sued for failing to run the business.

But anyway, the qualifying garbage is a necessary part of licensing.

·
Super Moderator
27,726 Posts
Your a paper contractor all day, pal. Everything you said so far confirms it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts