Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guy using quad caulk having issue with it? Put a steel roof on a house this fall that I put steel siding on a couple of years ago. and while there notice that the caulk was cracking.:rolleyes: Don't know if this was some bad stuff or what , have not seen this problem before. And since Quad matches Alside ,EDCO steel siding not sure what to think or do now about caulking. Looks bad when it cracks.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I have not had that problem. It does shrink when drying was it a gap? Did have it split when I tried caulking a gap with no backer. I think it just shrank so much it split.

Cole

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not had that problem. It does shrink when drying was it a gap? Did have it split when I tried caulking a gap with no backer. I think it just shrank so much it split.

Cole
Yes was a gap , but not much of one, normal 1/8 or so. Also I don't tool it thin , rather leave it as it come out of the tube. Have not seen it happen on other jobs and have not chaged how I do it .so hoping thinking it was maybe some bad caulk.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I know my local yard had a big problem with quad caulking a few years back. Tons of complaints about material failure, and it was failures after a short time.

I was part of the group that bought the bad merch and personally my only problem with it was the tubes splitting or the bottoms blowing out.

I haven't used the stuff since. Maybe you got some of the same stuff?

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know my local yard had a big problem with quad caulking a few years back. Tons of complaints about material failure, and it was failures after a short time.

I was part of the group that bought the bad merch and personally my only problem with it was the tubes splitting or the bottoms blowing out.

I haven't used the stuff since. Maybe you got some of the same stuff?
And yet I have never had a tube split. When I get color matched caulk for Alside the supply Quad. Had using stuff that is off color.

·
Registered
358 Posts
And yet I have never had a tube split. When I get color matched caulk for Alside the supply Quad. Had using stuff that is off color.
Hahaha then I'll say youre a luckier man than I... you can imagine the mess it made when one tube split from 18' up, right above a new sidewalk.

I hope your issue it just a fluke. good luck

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I used to always have trouble with the old OSI caulking before quad drying out and splitting. So I got away from osi unless I really needed to match a color.

I've heard that the quad is good stuff, I've got a job this week that I will be using a couple tubes of bronze on. Hopefully it works out nice.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts