Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Q: C27 - Landscape Contractor License, CA

2035 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  License Guru

My name is Brandon and I'm currently in California.

I currently have a masters in Landscape Architecture (graduated Spring 2013). I'm currently working in a large multidisciplinary firm under licensed landscape architects. I have a couple years worth of experience (6-7 months post graduation) and I will be eligible for my LA licensure in the spring of 2015 which I fully intend to get.

My question for this form involves my desire to get my C27 licensure (my plan is to get my LA licensure before my C27 Licensure). On the California Contractors Association website, it notes this you can use 1 year of experience under a contractor in addition to qualifying education to meet the 4 years needed to gain licensure. The website notes:

"A maximum of three years [can be substituted for work experience] upon submission of any of the following:
• Submission of transcripts for a four-year degree from an accredited college or university in architecture, construction technology, or any field of engineering that is directly related to the classification for which application is being made; or
• Submission of transcripts for a four-year degree from an accredited college or university in the field of horticulture or landscape horticulture for the Landscaping (C-27) classification."

My question is, does my educational training as a landscape architect meet the qualifications for meeting the C27 licensure requirements?

Thank you, in advance, for your help,
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Hi Brandon,

Welcome to CT. Yes, your degree should be worth 3 yrs toward the 4 yr requirement. You will need at least 1 yr of in field/hands-on experience within the trade before you can apply for the license.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.