Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.armstrong.com/reslaminatena/prod_detail.jsp?itemId=74275

I'd like to have the above floor installed in my townhouse in the dining/living area, front hallway, and kitchen. This is a "glueless" floating floor, the best quality that Armstrong makes. The floor would be installed over a concrete slab, and even though the water table is low in my area (Virginia) I'm going to insist that the concrete be sealed.

A contractor I spoke with said that I don't want a laminate floor since if one piece gets damaged beyond repair, the whole floor would have to be replaced. I could see that happening with a glue-down floor, but couldn't a piece of glueless laminate be replaced by carefully taking it apart, replacing a piece, and putting it back together? Or, do people replace floors because the manufacturer may no longer be making that particular style/color any more, so finding a piece to match is difficult, if not impossible, and very costly?

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
High end Armstrong is a good choice. The contractor was wrong, changing out a panel is not that difficult and you don't have to disassemble the floor. Save a few of the big drops and buy an extra box, store in a cool, dry place just in case. A different lot# can make a difference.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ditto.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Ditto here too.

By the way, find someone with a different opinion.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The underlayment is key. You needn't depend on a sealer when you can simply buy a quality underlayment. I prefer a product called Sound Solution made by Healthier Choice in Dalton Ga. They have an iron clad guarantee.

Using 6 mil polyethylene is pretty cheap insurance toward avoiding moisture probs associated with laminates. Despite sales pitches to the contrary, none of them are very dimensionally stable.

CHU

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Sealing the concrete is just cheap insurance. I noticed on my first job that just walking on the poly sheet can cause micro punctures due to a small stone in a boot tread or one trapped between the membrane and the floor. I spent a lot of time taping holes on that job. I'm pretty convinced that with 2 coats of sealer the vapor barrior is redundant but it goes down anyway for warantee reasons. I just think about what it would cost to tear it all out and start over. :cry:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts