Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a job (non plumbing related) last week, I noticed that all the drain lines in this single family house were run in pvc pipe with abs fittings. I've never seen this before. What reason would someone have to mix materials like this?

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh okay. Probably into the scatology. Just checking to make sure I'm not crazy for thinking that was a little crazy!

·
Registered
Remodel
29,565 Posts
http://www.irrigationdirect.com/irr...plies/fittings/black-pvc-fittings-schedule-40

Here are some black pvc fittings for irrigation. I'd imagine they wouldn't be code for waste drains but probably don't differ much in reality
From the pictures on the site, those are the supply side design. DWV ones have more sweeping curves so stuff doesn't get hung up, and you can snake them easily. Just compare a regular DWV 90 with a supply 90 to see what I'm talking about.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
KillerToiletSpider said:
That isn't entirely effective because one material is a styrene and one is a vinyl.
That's how we switch from PVC below grade to ABS above slab - transition glue - and it's expensive compared to ABS and PVC glues.

We don't use PVC above grade in Ontario on plumbing drains

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris Johnson said:
That's how we switch from PVC below grade to ABS above slab - transition glue - and it's expensive compared to ABS and PVC glues. We don't use PVC above grade in Ontario on plumbing drains
Is pvc more susceptible to cracking when frozen?

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
I think it's more brittle period, doesn't matter the temps. Our PVC is all thin wall stuff, need to pack a solid base around it. SDR 35, you can have white or you can have green. Suppose to use green from outside of house to city connection at property line.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I think it's more brittle period, doesn't matter the temps. Our PVC is all thin wall stuff, need to pack a solid base around it. SDR 35, you can have white or you can have green. Suppose to use green from outside of house to city connection at property line.
I thought abs was a little more brittle.

·
Registered
819 Posts
are you sure its ABS??? is it grey or black??? ive seen grey pvc fittings from back in the late 1970's.....

to glue pvc into abs you need special glue....i dont trust the stuff and dont think its up to code...i use it in situations where i have no choice....cant see someone running the whole house in it....i doubt its code legal

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
are you sure its ABS??? is it grey or black??? ive seen grey pvc fittings from back in the late 1970's.....

to glue pvc into abs you need special glue....i dont trust the stuff and dont think its up to code...i use it in situations where i have no choice....cant see someone running the whole house in it....i doubt its code legal
Chris is comparing abs to pvc sewer pipe not sch40 or sch80.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My girlfriends house is like that some fricking yahoo did the plumbing, abs mixed with thinwall pvc leaks abound haha. Already put a new bath in for her and I aim to take care of all that when we redo the basement.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,778 Posts
I could be wrong , but I thought my father inlaw told me all he could get in Oregon was ABS. Seems like you can always tell which modulars come from Canada , black vent pipes.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I could be wrong , but I thought my father inlaw told me all he could get in Oregon was ABS. Seems like you can always tell which modulars come from Canada , black vent pipes.
Different geographic areas often only carry one or the other. I have no good explanation.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts