Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, whenever i install a window into a sheetrock return, we trim out the interior with primed white quarter rounds. Works good but my customers have to paint them.
I see alot of the big box stores selling pvc quarter rounds but have a question.
Since the vinyl window is caulked to the pvc quarter round, will there inevitably be too much expansion and contraction causing the caulk to crack faster than if its a wood quarter round?
We like dynaflex as an interior caulk.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Love the Dynaflex for interior use. Much better than the sub $2.00 typical latex stuff. I've not used the PVC trim stop moldings enough to have a real good answer for you. I hate leaving anything that I perform that would require painting by the customer. They either never get around to it or butcher up the painting. I've been using the pre-finished laminated "Smart Trim" that Sunrise offers as it features a multi-step beaded profile which really jazzes up the appearance of the stops. What I don't like other than the price of this stuff, is the fact that under the laminate pre-finished surface it's basically MDF. It's harder to cope too (as opposed to just 45) with that vinyl laminate and fancy profile.

This stuff has the back already cut out as a relief. Alside distributors have access to it too.

My best guess is that if you back seal those PVC stops with something like Novaflex and face seal them with Dynaflex I think you should be fine.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The pvc trim i am referring to is sold at home depot. Its like 8 bucks a piece for 12 ft or something.
So there is no issue with cinyl from the window expaning and contracting at the same time the vinyl quarter round is expaning and contracting?
Lets say we didnt do a back caulk, only face seal to sheetrock and to vinyl window? Should it still hold up?
Will it hold up as well as if we used primed white wood quarter round"

·
Registered
74 Posts
Honestly, I don't know. I typically back seal the stops with the silicone just to help prevent any unwanted movement and air leakage. We inject high quality low-expansion spray foam to the shim space/rough opening too. I don't do all that many aluminum tear outs down my way, so I don't mind the little extra cost of a couple of tubes of Novaflex per job on less than 10 metal rips (projects) per year. If I was in an area in which I did a lot of them, I would have to price it in or deal with the way most subs would do them.

It's nice to have 20-30 years experience to fully gauge things like this. Not that I want to be that beat up yet.:laughing:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Check this stuff out. We use it on the interior of our windows if needed, and instead of the pvc cap that the window comes with. It also allows for covering gaps from crooked openings (or crappy installs) Its flat pvc and doesn't need painting

*note: I have nothing to do with this product except as a user.

http://rwdextendertrim.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts