Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
No but it's called a wheeler rex pipe hog.

Reactions: wookie

·
Registered
819 Posts
the set i have is nicer than the jones stevens....id recommend buying the best...maybe ill stop being lazy and go to my van and see what brand name i have for you tomorrow

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I have the same ones. Used the 1.5" about 20x so far and it's been perfect every time. If I used them 3-4x a week I would prob buy a nicer set but even then I can't see how they would work any better.
yep, the key is to go slow and parallel to the pipe, the cheaper ones work fine for occasional use. Plastic glued joints are pretty forgiving as far as joint fit, not like sweating copper.

·
Registered
819 Posts
my kit is from wheeler rex

you need to do it full speed...if you go slow it has issues.....if you dont go straight it still works, but eats away at the fitting....the fittings are always loose and need extra glue

it has worked for me 100% of the time....i wish i had bought the set earlier

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Buy Canadian glue, I can get them apart and cleaned up with a sawsall, flat head screw driver and a hammer. Could never do it with American glue though.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Buy Canadian glue, I can get them apart and cleaned up with a sawsall, flat head screw driver and a hammer. Could never do it with American glue though.
if the plastic cement isn't fusing the parts together, than it's not doing its job :blink:

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
my kit is from wheeler rex

you need to do it full speed...if you go slow it has issues.....if you dont go straight it still works, but eats away at the fitting....the fittings are always loose and need extra glue

it has worked for me 100% of the time....i wish i had bought the set earlier
slow meaning don't rush it, not low rpm. :blink:

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
m1911 said:
if the plastic cement isn't fusing the parts together, than it's not doing its job :blink:
Our yellow ABS glue here is weak, the black ABS glue we had in California is incredible. I lost a bet telling a guy I could clean the fitting my way...didn't happen.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
what is it, some type of transition cement?
It's the same ****, one is acetone with black abs plastic dissolved in it, the other is yellow abs.

In Canada it has to be yellow so the inspector can see the glue.

Just like our 636 pvc glue uses orange glue and purple primer.

Reactions: m1911

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
Our yellow ABS glue here is weak, the black ABS glue we had in California is incredible. I lost a bet telling a guy I could clean the fitting my way...didn't happen.

Poly vinyl chloride cement uses Methyl Ethyl Ketone as an activator in the bonding process, while Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene uses Acetone as an activator, which does not mix with the other, the transition glues you are using are not creating the solvent weld designed for the product, because the products are nowhere close to being similar in make up.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Poly vinyl chloride cement uses Methyl Ethyl Ketone as an activator in the bonding process, while Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene uses Acetone as an activator, which does not mix with the other, the transition glues you are using are not creating the solvent weld designed for the product, because the products are nowhere close to being similar in make up.
He's not using transition glue, in Canada ABS glue is bright yellow, PVC is clear, grey or orange, transition glue is white.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts