Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys, when installing a new patio door, use azek as a sill plate or to raise the door?
I have spoke to some guys who refuse to use anything but flashed wood in those applications.
I also see some guys using Azek to buck frame a basement window opening; opinions on that?

·
Registered
818 Posts
The two contractors I've worked for use PT with silicone or pitch to seal the bottom.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can azek be flashed with aluminum? Does it have the structural integrity to be a patio door sill plate or a sill plate on a wall( on top foundation)?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yes, azek can be covered with aluminum. You can use it under a patio door.
I have used azek and 1/2" PVC facia under doors many times. Usually when trying to keep them up off of concrete.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think home depot sells a teue composite shim that is much stronger than Azek called " timber wolf".

·
Registered
818 Posts
The composite shims are nice because they don't compress, but they are a huge pain to cut off, they are too short, and too expensive.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Any of you guys, when installing a new patio door, use azek as a sill plate or to raise the door?
I have spoke to some guys who refuse to use anything but flashed wood in those applications.
I also see some guys using Azek to buck frame a basement window opening; opinions on that?
I have used PVC as a "carpet shim" under hinged entry doors as well as bucking openings in block walls. I just installed 2 twin windows in block walls over the weekend. 14" wide PVC was attached to the window frames, then set in the block openings and foamed in place. Worked like a charm.

These are the windows. The door was done in a similar fashion, along with carpet shim underneath.

Attachments

Reactions: Hand Drive
1 - 8 of 8 Posts