Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do interior remodeling. What I know about yards is mow it when it gets too high.

I would like to replace my backyard, (many weeds and getting a dog).

The yard slopes off around the perimiter, drops off by 2 - 3 feet. I built a retaining wall and fence and have put round-up to kill the grass. My plan now is to rent a scraper to move some of the dirt to the perimiter, then bring in good topsoil and sod. How does that sound? I wonder if the old yard is so packed that I may have to till it first? Lots of rocks too.

Any advice is appreciated.

Rich

PS I do know I need some slope away from the house, I just want it to be even, not such a drop off.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I've done this a few times. If you want a good base for your grass to thrive in, have a load of top soil & soil amendment all in one dumped and spread it out over the yard about 4 inches deep. You can do this with wheel barrows or with a bob cat, and use a sturdy tined rake to spread it out. Then rent a really powerful tiller, not the kind for the garden. Till it all up about 6-12 inches deep. You can get new grass with sod real quick or take 6-10 weeks by growing straight from seed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts