Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
BIRKHIMER BROS. INC.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm furring out a wall on the exterior around a entry door,plan on putting some 1" by strapping over existing sheathing then put new plywood sheathing to bring wall out to new level around door area.my? Is should I put house wrap on original sheathing for air sealing since strapping May have air leaks ,then put another layer on new exterior sheathing for weather barrier?or wold one layer on new exterior be ok.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
:blink:what protects the outside layer of sheathing,imo you want the wrap ''directly'' under the siding and that may mean putting on 2..

·
Hack
3,011 Posts
:blink:what protects the outside layer of sheathing,imo you want the wrap ''directly'' under the siding and that may mean putting on 2..
Good point....I guess there still would be an airspace between the layers to keep it dry.

I'd say that if Tom chimes in on something like this, I'd follow his advice.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
no no it's not like that,but typically your drainage is right behind the siding,if the op was to install the siding directly to furring i'd grudgingly admit that just on the sheathing was o.k

Seeing that he proposes another layer of sheathing that's where my drainage plane is

·
Registered
242 Posts
What protects the outside layer of sheeting is properly installed exterior finishes. The main purpose of house wrap is to protect the interior of the wall cavities and interior of the home from excessive moister. If it makes ya feel better staple a layer of felt paper on the outside sheeting to protect it. As long as there is an air space behind the exterior sheeting it will likely never rot with a decent exterior finish job.

·
Registered
242 Posts
As long as you're smiling. :thumbsup: No ones perfect, I certainly understand that. Maybe just put the wrap on the outside and spray it? I did see painted duct tape on box gutter today..........

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quad Racer said:
What protects the outside layer of sheeting is properly installed exterior finishes. The main purpose of house wrap is to protect the interior of the wall cavities and interior of the home from excessive moister. If it makes ya feel better staple a layer of felt paper on the outside sheeting to protect it. As long as there is an air space behind the exterior sheeting it will likely never rot with a decent exterior finish job.
With this logic, felt under properly installed shingles is a waste of time too, right?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
. The main purpose of house wrap is to protect the interior of the wall cavities and interior of the home from excessive moister..
If you mean like rain, I agree :laughing:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Over here alot of claddings are now installed on cavity's the wrap goes on the framing then it is battened and cladding fixed to battens

·
Registered
242 Posts
Shingles are used for walls and roofs and so is felt........
Sure you're right. Shingles still arent siding though they're shingles. In my neck of the woods shingles go on the roof. Shingles haven't been used as siding for many many years around here.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
.....there is no freaking way that the exterior finishes of any home won't let water penetrate, Zero, Zilch, Nada. That is just crazy talk and leads to poorly constructed homes.

Over here alot of claddings are now installed on cavity's the wrap goes on the framing then it is battened and cladding fixed to battens

This is something I have often thought about, that allows air circulation and water to drain... I would love to see the impact on the life of the finish paint. I would be willing to say it lasts much longer then most of the homes you see with peeling paint.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts