Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All right, rant time again. You all might remember when I got pissed off at installers who slather silicone all over the place. This time it was just plain old interior latex caulk.

I bid a job for a very good client of mine to paint some replacement windows for him, inside and out. The old ones rotted out, so Pella sent some new ones. Bare wood, ready to go. I love working with a new clean palette.

While down. I doubled-primed the exterior, and single primed the interior. Then applied 2 finish coats to both sides. I figured after they were installed, I could do a touch-up or another quick coat. Instead, some dill hole with a caulk gun completely ruined these windows. I had to then explain to my customer why it was going to take me 4 extra hours to fix his job. This is what I was faced with:

I won't even go into how he smeared wood filler in all 500 of the holes he made to put these windows in. D1ckhead. :censored: :furious:

I'll say this one more time.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO OPERATE A CAULK GUN, THEN DON'T USE IT. PUT IT DOWN AND WALK AWAY.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Should have specified to the installers not to caulk or fill nail holes. That's what I do and I just add it to my bid. Preferably I do it all from start to finish but any time I have other contractors on a job I'm the one fixing their crap at the end.

People that do work like that shouldn't be working. I was fired from a painting co. years ago because I refused to fill 1/4" gaps in miters and make #2 common pine look good when the carpenter did such crappy work.

HEY I just noticed your in St. Louis same here.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I don't understand how someone could call that caulking job finished.It's not brain surgery.Was he in that much of a hurry?

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
We feel for you PWG.

I have said many times
that there should be a license
required to buy silicone.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
OMG!!! I use caulk to cover my a$$ from time to time....That's hilarious (sitting here)!

Did the Pella service rep do the install? Maybe you or the HO can get some $$ back.

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
You have every right to be pissed. Poor caulk jobs are a pet peeve of mine. Installers feel a need to cut 3/8" hole in the caulk tube and gob the shi* all over damaging thousands of dollars worth of work because their stupid.

·
Registered
440 Posts
What's wrong with the caulking job? Too messy? Not up to code? What?

·
Registered
124 Posts
A job supe told me once, "our motto is do your best and caulk the rest".

1 - 20 of 44 Posts