Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever done this? Bidding a job where I need to go past a few utility poles replacing 8" clay tile with 8" SDR 26. Will be to close to poles to open cut past them. So was thinking I would probably stop and leave 7' of material on each side of pole and try to just push the 14-15' of SDR through. Any tips or suggestions on this idea besides a bore machine. Bids are really tight on these projects so anywhere I can trim some I need to.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
what type of swedge and pulling system you using to burst the VCP? why not pay utility company to come with boom truck and hold pole while you excavate/backfill? done this numerous times. absolutely no dirt around or under pole.

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
why not pay utility company to come with boom truck and hold pole while you excavate/backfill? done this numerous times. absolutely no dirt around or under pole.
Yeah, the utility companies will usually come out for free and hold the pole for you. The guys love it because they sit there all day doing nothing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not to double post but I would have to say Pipe burst it. It would definately be cost effective. We run a cable through the existing line that is hooked to a powerful winch. On the other end we have a pneumatic mole assembly inside the pipe. The mole hammers on the steel head as the winch guides it through. We can pull roughly 100 ft. per hr. We can also manhole exit if need be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts