Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for anyone could help me with it. I normally just do power washing for a custom home builder, and have been doing for over 5 years. He now has asked me to give him a price list for a punch list. Mainly odd jobs, like cleaning up after contractor who don't want to clean after themselves. Other jobs would be like picking up the thrash around the yard, sweeping up the floor, and picking up trash around the dumpster once a new dumpster is dropped off. Maybe even moving materials from one home to another. Not really sure what to charge per job, or to charge per hour. If anyone could give me any ideas i would really appreciated. I don't want to over charge, or to short myself either.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What do you pay yourself to power wash? You should make the same wage because he's keeping you from making that amount if you were on another power washing job. I'm talking just your labor rate, not equipment rate too.

·
Registered
11,841 Posts
I kind of wanted to charge him per job, because some of the jobs are so simple it will take me less than an hour to do.
Draft yourself a price list and sleep on it. Sometimes that's the best way. Some of them will end up looking low, and others will seem to put off the builder. Tweak accordingly. This also helps to be confident in your numbers when you present them.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I make about $65.00hr when I power wash for them. Some times i can make more, it all depends on how filthy the driveway is.
Wow.... There must be some other facts/calculations/considerations in that figure.

I was going to just say ask him what seems fair to him. decide if its ok for you....

Picking up trash around here in Colorado, I'd think I was paying someone fairly at 20/hour.... considering its a short term, at your convenience type job.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,590 Posts
Picking up trash around here in Colorado, I'd think I was paying someone fairly at 20/hour.... considering its a short term, at your convenience type job.
I’ll take that job – When do I start? :laughing:

·
Registered
819 Posts
he just wants a simple list so he can quickly give customers a bid and be 100% accurate

I have a flat rate price list for tons of small plumbing stuff

you have to make money, so if your going to be off it needs to be off in the direction of being over priced

I typically make $150 extra on every water heater...but once in a while I lost $100 or so.....my price is such that I rarely lose

come up with prices where 90% of the time you will win

its a idea that will make you more money and make bidding time nonexistent....the more flat rate pricing you can come up with the better

the builder is handing you free extra $$ and your afraid to take it

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Just give him a half day and full day labor rate. You will round up to the next closest increment. Reimbursables will be billed back seperately at a 10% (or whatever) markup.

And $65/hour for a fully burdened person to power wash is not obscene.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,553 Posts
You can only give him prices of things you know how to price. If you haven't done something then how can you realistically price it out and be sure you won't lose your shirt? If he is going to treat you as a handyman come up with a price figure that is hourly that you can both deal with. Handymen in my area charge $60 and up an hour. If they want fully insured competent people then they'll need to pay for that. Otherwise they can have the neighbor kid do it for play money on the weekends.

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
he just wants a simple list so he can quickly give customers a bid and be 100% accurate
He works for a builder. These tasks are associated with the building of the house and I doubt would be back charged to the customer.

It's more likely that he wants a fixed cost so that he knows what his expenses are going to be and possibly back charge his subs.

To the OP, price as your gut tells you. If it seems too low it probably is, and if it seems to high it probably isn't. ;)

·
Registered
13,217 Posts
Handymen in my area charge $60 and up an hour. If they want fully insured competent people then they'll need to pay for that.

Sheesh, I'll take that job too. :laughing: Around here handymen show up in an old rattling truck and charge 15 bucks an hour. It's almost funny to see folks' faces when I give them a real price for "Handyman" services.

As long as a bunch of pop cans didn't fall out of my truck when I arrived, I usually get the gig anyway. :laughing:

Oh, I guess I should answer the question.

I would do it as an hourly rate, or like said above, half and full day rates. Probably not at 65 bucks an hour though. Most likely the builder just doesn't want to do it himself. If you need or want to make a bit of extra cash, go for it. If not, then I wouldn't do it, unless you want to be known as the guy who will clean up. Depends on your business model I suppose.

I have been known to do anything for a buck. These types of gigs usually don't make me much money, but they can lead to other work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts