Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Justin K
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a terrible process in order to build a deck.

Stake out area where deck is to be built (supposed to stake property lines & setbacks too)
Go to one place (township) to get a land use permit, pay fee.
Wait for approval. A day or two
Go to County Building to get building permit, pay fee
County/drain commission give plans, pay fee
Wait for approval (a week or so)

To build a deck!?

This is an annoying process that requires at least a month of lead time before starting the job so as much can be done through the mail as possible instead of all the driving.

I see why so many people don't pull permits. The cost of permits is one thing, but all the time and effort (and gas) that goes into it is another. Ridiculous in my opinion. Its bad enough when I pull them in city limits and have to wait two weeks to process the permit for something so simple as a deck (and charge $80 for plan review on top of permit fees)

FYI- no this isn't my first time pulling a permit, just venting and wondering if I am the only one who feels this way. And yes I still plan on pulling permits, but I may also keep complaining ;)

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Some Folks don't see building a deck as really important, in fact they see it as child's play something anyone can do.

Then there are others who don't see it that way.

If going to the permit store is a little much for Ya, perhaps something in the fast food chain would be a good choice or a position in a janitorial field.

JonMon

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Some Folks don't see building a deck as really important, in fact they see it as child's play something anyone can do.

Then there are others who don't see it that way.

If going to the permit store is a little much for Ya, perhaps something in the fast food chain would be a good choice or a position in a janitorial field.

JonMon
I think the commentary speaks more towards the ridiculousness of layers of bureaucracy to accomplish any task.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
I's all part of what we do.
Jump through the hoops and get it done.

One the building department in my area is only open
one night every other week. When you go to pull a permit you sit there
for hours. It's first come first serve. I go with all paperwork filled out and ready to go.
Homeowners show up and wait their turn also. But when it's their turn the inspector
helps them with the paperwork application.

Now that's a waste of time.

It is, what it is, we can't change it.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It's just a cost of doing business. Unfortunately the cost is born by the 1/3 of contractors who work legally, and the owners who hire them.

·
General Contractor
8,081 Posts
Here, everything is done in one place... Zoning permit is a small fee and they pass it on to building department and you pay when its approved.

Most places will have it approved in a few days to a week, some places 2 weeks, some places could be a month.

One town I dropped plans around 10am and I made a few traffic lights and they called me that the permit was ready... This happened for the 1st time in 30 yrs and it was the only job I did in that town.
One town which is about 2 blocks one way and 2 blocks the other way, I did a kitchen remodeling, they couldn't find a permit jacket :laughing: the lady told she don't remember when someone took the permit out to do anything, so she told me when you done just call for inspection and someone will be out there. Sure enough some guy showed up when the job was done and he had to read the code book to make sure everything was up to code :laughing:

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
You guys will hate me... my primary work area has city zoning upstairs, walk up to the counter and they're there to help (or a bell on the desk if it's slow) downstairs is plan review and permit issuing counter. Go to plan check and check in on a computer, they review and approve deck plans, garages, etc right there and then you go up front and give them the stamped plans and zoning and you walk out with the permit in hand.

If you're really ahead of schedule you can submit everything online and then pick it all up in 3 days.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Does it pain you to know that I swing by the code office on the way to build a deck, towing the skid steer. Pay them the $40 plus 10¢ a sqf. Takes no longer than 10 minutes

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,377 Posts
Welcome to agenda 21 fellas, if not in your area yet it will be.

I don't think pulling a deck permit could get any worse than at city of austin.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Welcome to agenda 21 fellas, if not in your area yet it will be.

I don't think pulling a deck permit could get any worse than at city of austin.
The city of Chicago after all of those deck collapses a few years back.

Our's isn't that bad.

1) Submit plat of survey with deck outlined along with all out buildings and utilities, joist plan, ledger schedule, footing elevation (PAY FEE)
2) Wait 2 weeks
3) Pick up Permit (PAY FEE)

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
We have to call dig rite for underground utilities before any excavation (makes sense) and depending on what county or municipality....it can be a breeze or a PIA. if the municipality has it's own public works dept.....that usually spells at least some trouble.

I've done plenty with and without.....no big deal......around here it ain't so much about the safety as it is the money...I've seen chit approved that I would NEVER do

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Typical California deck:

Basic design

Engineer review & re-design

Come to Jesus meeting with engineer

Revised drawings & calcs

Bldg. Dept.

4-6 weeks & start building.....maybe....:censored:

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
TNT

Two fee for same permit?

One for review and one for field card ?

What's the two fees for ?

Hopefully, some day, It will be as easy to get a permit as it is to get a tax return,,,,,,,

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
TNT

Two fee for same permit?

One for review and one for field card ?

What's the two fees for ?

Hopefully, some day, It will be as easy to get a permit as it is to get a tax return,,,,,,,
Permit fee
Inspection fee

·
General Contractor
8,081 Posts
You guys will hate me... my primary work area has city zoning upstairs, walk up to the counter and they're there to help (or a bell on the desk if it's slow) downstairs is plan review and permit issuing counter. Go to plan check and check in on a computer, they review and approve deck plans, garages, etc right there and then you go up front and give them the stamped plans and zoning and you walk out with the permit in hand.

If you're really ahead of schedule you can submit everything online and then pick it all up in 3 days.
We don't hate you Bro, we envy you :thumbsup::laughing:

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Some towns around here are pretty easy, drop it off and then pick it up a week or two later and pay the fee. Some towns aren't so easy and have separate building and zoning desks so you have to pay twice and wait twice.

The worst one around here has separate building and zoning desks and they won't pass the plans from one desk to the other(they're 10 feet apart). You have to drive over there, pay for the zoning(they won't tell you what the fee is until they finish review) and then carry it over to the other desk. That place kills me as it's about 40 minutes away. And they ALWAYS take the full two weeks for each review.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts