Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 1961 farm house.

Carport gets puddles with just a little rain. We have no leaks, it seems to come from below. What can I do to stop this. Slab

It also happens on our screen porch is a slab on block.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
We have owned the house since August, has happened every rain...light or heavy.
I don't have much of a clue, but I'd probably drill a hole in the middle of the carport to see what happens. If water starts flowing up out of the ground maybe you have a spring, or there's a drain pipe of some kind that's busted and is leaking under pressure.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I don't have much of a clue, but I'd probably drill a hole in the middle of the carport to see what happens. If water starts flowing up out of the ground maybe you have a spring, or there's a drain pipe of some kind that's busted and is leaking under pressure.

Not saying drilling a hole is a bad idea. Suggestion reminds me of a crazy experience I saw in early '70s. A cop and a mechanic get two sheets to wind in a bar. Cop starts complaining,says his brand new car gets tons of water after every rain,it collects in wells on either side of trunk. Cop asks mechanic to take a look and see what can be done.

The two walk out side,no one pays much attention. All of a sudden,two pistol shots ring out. Bottom line,mechanic asks cop for gun,cop gives it to him. Mechanic shoots a hole on each side of trunk,says no more water will collect there.:laughing:

·
Registered
502 Posts
My semi-educated guess improper prep. Guess there's no vapor barrier under slab. Water infiltrating from humidity which is high when it rains as we all know. Right conditions no preventative measures condensation accumulation forming puddle at the lowest points where it collects. Just a guess? Seen this more than once especially if soil is dense. Remedy, do over. With out photos just my hypothesis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.