Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share what happened
I have been at this for 21 years without a accident except for my share of blackened finger nails
I just recently finished sheathing a roof and was happy to be inside out of the snow doing back framing,ceilings,soffits etc...

just leaned up a stepladder to go up to a five foot floor above to get a smaller ladder, upon my way down the ladder slid out and I dropped 5 feet, bonked my head on the way I guess and again when landed,was unable to brace for impact because i was knocked out
Broken collar bone and four ribs with a concussion

I can't believe how quick it happened especially since its something we all do hundreds of times,
so my point is if I can get someone to stop for a second back at work tomorrow and don't get complacent like we all do

Funny thing is apparently when I have a concussion I wink at everybody,awkward!(my wife was laughing at the ER):laughing:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fall.I was crawling off a 24' ladder last year onto a second floor roof deck and the ladder shot out from under me.Amazing how fast it happens.
Broke bones in both feet.Not real bad but enough to keep me from work for eight weeks.The deck had peeling paint on it.Had a man that works with me fall off a four footer and break his wrist so it doesn't have to be high.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, glad your ok!

I stepped down a 2' stepladder and something in my lower back "caught" and I went to the ground. Trip to the urgent care and a talk with a PT tech, pulled a hammy at my back instead of at my leg...... ladders......lol

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
Ouch. Best of luck with the healing.

A few months ago I was indoors working on a 12' extension ladder (cathedral ceiling), doing some patching after wiring. Hardwood floor was tarped, and I figured I "only" needed to do a little bit of sanding anyway.....I ended up pushed myself right off the wall (during sanding) and the ladder base got stopped 4' back by the master bed. Lesson learned. Later, I spent $6 at Target to buy a rubber mat that goes under carpet runners. Works great under a ladder. Really sticky, yet removable. (note: If you get one, spend a bit more for a larger size...helps for ladder adjustments without moving the small one too much. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I use the same thing MarkJames, have used some cheap table placemats before too that I picked up at the dollar store in a pinch. Had one incident on a wood floor, while on my extension ladder painting it started to slide. Luckily someone I was working with caught it, after I un-puckered I swore I would never let that happen again.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,345 Posts
God speed on the recovery!

I have three plates 12 screws and a wire in my wrist. I only fell from the third rung. It was the way it snapped and slung me to the ground. That took a full year of recovery and physical therapy. I have only 60% of use from that hand. Thank god it was my right hand because I'm left handed. I agree it's all about complacency. I had been in the business about 20 years at the time.

I just want to emphasize how bad that phucking hurt!

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
I was using my Little Giant, lowered, as a step ladder and standing on teh top of it like I do every day. I was painting a barn and one leg dropped into a gopher hole after I stood on top.

It was so fast, but as I went down, I just knew I was going to be toast. Fortunately, my fat, chubby, old cat like reflexes saved me, or most likely God had mercy on me that day. I hit like sack of sh!t. After taking a few minutes to make sure everything was still in it's place, I reset my ladder and was much more careful.

I now check it twice before getting on it.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Ouch. Best of luck with the healing.

A few months ago I was indoors working on a 12" extension ladder (cathedral ceiling), doing some patching after wiring. Hardwood floor was tarped, and I figured I "only" needed to do a little bit of sanding anyway.....I ended up pushed myself right off the wall (during sanding) and the ladder base got stopped 4' back by the master bed. Lesson learned. Later, I spent $6 at Target to buy a rubber mat that goes under carpet runners. Works great under a ladder. Really sticky, yet removable. (note: If you get one, spend a bit more for a larger size...helps for ladder adjustments without moving the small one too much. :thumbup:
Yep, gotta watch those 12 inch extension ladders. They'll burn ya every time! :laughing:

(I have my own stupid ladder story. Only 8’ up. Stupid decision on my part led to fractured ribs, wind knocked out of me, scraped legs and a VERY bruised ego! NO fun whatsoever.)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Setting a ladder on a deck can be a real bad idea. I have one friend who braced his ladder against the railing balusters. He was about 25 feet up when the balusters broke. Broke his ankle, had to have it pinned and a couple operations to fix it.

Another friend had a short ladder on a deck. He was about 5 feet up when it slipped out. Landed cross legged on top of the ladder. Tore a bunch of ligaments, couldn't walk well for a year.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
I was up on the second story deck of a set we were putting in at a theatre and had a 6' stepladder up there to hang some lights. I somehow made it to the top of the ladder before I realized one of the legs was hanging over edge. I carefully got down and repositioned.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Just watched the boss fall off a leaned step ladder.

We were installing some Hardie siding on a small pump house and he wanted to clean the dust off. No hose around so he got a wet rag and went to work. Trying to clean the peak of the gable he was leaning too far hanging on to the barge. 6' ladder went out. I watched the whole thing happen. His leg went in between the rungs and his weight landed on the ladder. I thought for sure he snapped his leg in between the ladder. He hobbled around the rest of the day but was ok.

FramerKMC, I hope your recovery is a fast one! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was setting a 6x10 false beam in a master bedroom with a helper at the time and as we got up to the top and went to set it in the pocket his 8' ladder went over sideways with beam in hand while I was holding the other end. It happened in slow motion on my end and knew I couldn't hold onto the beam or I would be toast so I waited until just before it hit the floor and tossed it as hard as I could hoping it wouldn't land on him. it was a raised floor and left a hell of a hole in the subfloor and Tony sprained his ankle, but we lived. Never trust them ladders!

·
Designer/Contractor
4,823 Posts
Good luck with your recovery, some sobering stories above, it's amazing how fast one falls isn't it? As one ages it seems that the pull of gravity increases.

Had a friend who was on a plank, just 4' off the ground; the plank broke, he fell and screwed up his back, 60k later in worker's comp payments for treatment and retraining into something else he was functioning pretty good...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Doesn't take much. My step dad who got me into the trades and taught me most of what I know has been in construction for nearly 40 years. He was out in Vermont rebuilding and old house for a client and just finished framing the stairs, 2 stories with a landing. He was making a punch list of things to do and backed off the upper landing, bounced off the lower landing, flew over 10' across the room and landed on the concrete floor. 7 broken ribs, fractured skull, bleeding on the brain, shattered left wrist(will never have full function back in that hand), and a shattered ankle. Was there by himself that day, nearly died.

Moral is, you don't even have to be doing something dangerous. It's when you get complacent that you get bit in the ass. Sobering. Keep it safe out there, it's not worth getting crippled or dying for.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I threw an extension ladder up against a wall in a hurry about a year ago to go up and mount a camera bracket and wouldn't you know it I got to the top and the thing kicks out from under me, down I went. Broke several bones in my ankle.

When I went back the next time to put up the same bracket I got the skyjack!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts