Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have a job coming up where I have to bolt PT wood to concrete on one side and cinder block on the other.
I'm wondering what to use as a backing to separate the two from the concrete.
Asphalt shingles or blue skin.
It's for the structure that holds this up.
There is six foot headroom below.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I may have a job coming up where I have to bolt PT wood to concrete on one side and cinder block on the other.
I'm wondering what to use as a backing to separate the two from the concrete.
Asphalt shingles or blue skin.
It's for the structure that holds this up.
There is six foot headroom below.
Any suggestions?
Just kick a little gravel between it. Duh...

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
You need to seperate, either foam or use the deck wrap or window tape sealer, the thicker oil based kind.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Foam sill sealer between concrete and PT will help prevent water from being trapped between the two surfaces leading to premature failure of the PT wood.

·
Registered
534 Posts
We always use sill gasket between concrete and pt. The new pt seems to react with ungalvanized metals badly. We have found we have to use galvanized nails for all the subfloor and rimboard connections or the regular nails will corrode and bleed down the cement walls. Looks like crap. You are probably using galv. fasteners anyway, but thought I would throw that in. Since they changed to the new pt, they have changed all the joist hangers as well to a more compatable material for the same reason. At least in Ontario where I live.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts