Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
I've gone around a few weeks after framing and put hot dipped washers under some of the joists after they shrunk. It's pretty wild how much width they lose.

I had a couple on one deck that started at 9-3/4" then ended up at 9-1/8 after a few months. They were stupidly wet when they went in. I would say at least twice-3x the weight as when dry too.

·
deck aficionado
531 Posts
I've told customers I will use old joists and then give them all new anyway and tell them no charge. They love it, I do this all the time. What is it, an extra 3 or 400 bucks? My average deck is about 25 - $30,000.00. It's really an irrelevant amount when you think about what headache it prevents.
Same here, doing it on a job today

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
I haven't needed to even think about that since 2009. All my joists come the same size and stay the same size. Don't find lots of little solutions, find 1 solution that solves the real problem.

That's what i been running around sorting today. Been to my supplier to sort out the span tables for the joists and beams. Current 2 decks im pricing out are steel with composite so sick of wood. May be giving you a shout for advice on some stuff if you don't mind Rob. Hopefully the days of wood frames for me are gone from today.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I was just funen Ya Rob.

Like Always.

I just don't have the problems some Folks do framing with PT lumber. It's all in working with the wood not against it. But then I have been a Wood Worker most all my working life, if you don't count 2 years in the military ( like I don't ) .

All wood requires understanding. If you fight it, it will fight back.

I see Darcy going over to the thin metal framing with the back ground He has so there must be intrinsic advantages . I however will never experience them .

No Need.

J.

·
Artist and not a curator
10,599 Posts
Rafters going in track wouod be nice. Post 12' on center is sweet. Having to use stainless.... priceless.

I would jump on it if I was a good distance from the salt. It's in the veins though, when a man grows to love the sea he is no longer fit to live on land.

A learning curve for using metal but after getting the hang of it, it's pretty nice. Hated framing with metal at first but after time, I realized it was a lot easier on the guys and to beef up loads, going up a couple guages was easier than going parallam, extra board, shorter distance, etc. You will bleed though.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
You will bleed though.
That's a fact. Last time I went in for a big cut and got a tetanus shot I asked the lady "this is good for 10 years right?" She replied "you should probably get another one next time you get cut on metal." I told her "ummm, that happens 5 times a day". She goes "oh ummm, maybe every 2-3 years then."

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I can send you what Robert sent me a while back. I have had to use a different company for the steel though but they do me the calculations for the beam spans which cemco wouldn't
That would be nice. I just want to add it to the list of things to get educated on and figure out so we can try it on a deck soon.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Would it be possible to strap the top of the entire deck at 12 inch centre and replace the outside rim board. Just a thought.
strapping? like tom silva does on this old house. he runs 1/3's Perpendicular to old joist. i've that on a re deck w/2x4's once. they also wanted the deck run in the other direction.

·
GC/carpenter
40,987 Posts
You could always put a temp ledger to set your joists on then install your hangers after shrinkage. Most of my deck bottoms are exposed. I don't like the look of shims in the hangers. I still think the best way is to replace all of them.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I'm wanting us to switch as well. Is there a good starting place for learning about it?
sure spend about $300 and get load build it in your back yard or be like me and set up / broke down / set up again in our local park and leave it there for the thursday night movie or band night. took my guys to the park for practice. pulled in broke out the cordless package some concrete footing blocks, laser, rigs and went to town. a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to do it friday after lunch and take out for bier. I would only use metal if my job site weren't so challenging. Like Rob and few others here know exactly what your getting into 99% of the time. stick framed houses and wide open voids in the rear to fill.
My process would estimate. close deal get a 50ft ladder and 2-guys to help set up. This is if there is no access. shoot my laser around get all the dims including elevations through out both parapets. write up materials package pre-cut of course. 2-days later it shows up. If one guy steps on and bends I need another 2-days later it comes. if i'm off 1/inch i'm fk'd. you guys build your most of your decks based on stock / dimensional materials. I order / sell 16x16 deck framing regardless if 14.5" I'm bound by parapets / property lines it goes and on.

railing: if i could use face / rim mount all around that would push me further to make metal my go to. but i'm bound by 8" parapet wall and I can only 4" because the other 4" neighbors.

i don;t know... i'll revisit converting where i can on the next rainy day.

·
Deck Parts Retailer
3,108 Posts
All this talk is just bunk. No matter you do to make the new wood the same height as the old wood the new wood will shrink, than all the efforts are thrown away.

Tear out the old and put in all new.

It took us 3 hrs to tear down 400 sq ft and set it by the road. Took an other 4 to reframe it. It will all move together.

I'm sure to the super pros around here we did something wrong by not taking at least a week.

You don't put new wine in an old flask and vice versa.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
All this talk is just bunk. No matter you do to make the new wood the same height as the old wood the new wood will shrink, than all the efforts are thrown away.

Tear out the old and put in all new.

It took us 3 hrs to tear down 400 sq ft and set it by the road. Took an other 4 to reframe it. It will all move together.

I'm sure to the super pros around here we did something wrong by not taking at least a week.

You don't put new wine in an old flask and vice versa.
easy killer. I just framed out 400sf 20x20 roof top yesterday. 1-3x4 landing. 3-steps. this is only with another 8ft to the edge and then 45ft to the curb. Know it did all day and hardware was finished this morning. I started another one today 200sf. demo'd yesterday. down and off site in about 3hrs. this one was only about 12ft off the ground. (New demo crew a little slow... they need a few more to get them used to demoing what there walking on. spent 1/2 day re-laying about 40 brick and tuck-pointing about 40sf due to no ledger flashing and 30 or so years of chit getting stuck behind. tomorrow I'll 200sf set up with post. Finish package comes friday morning. We also have to take multiple deliveries because we don't ave the space like you ground guys.

·
Deck Parts Retailer
3,108 Posts
easy killer. I just framed out 400sf 20x20 roof top yesterday. 1-3x4 landing. 3-steps. this is only with another 8ft to the edge and then 45ft to the curb. Know it did all day and hardware was finished this morning. I started another one today 200sf. demo'd yesterday. down and off site in about 3hrs. this one was only about 12ft off the ground. (New demo crew a little slow... they need a few more to get them used to demoing what there walking on. spent 1/2 day re-laying about 40 brick and tuck-pointing about 40sf due to no ledger flashing and 30 or so years of chit getting stuck behind. tomorrow I'll 200sf set up with post. Finish package comes friday morning. We also have to take multiple deliveries because we don't ave the space like you ground guys.
Don't tell too many people that you are actually building and making a living out of it, you'll get fast and cheap comments by people who build little and post a lot

21 - 40 of 47 Posts