Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tearout a vapor barrier/cement board/vapor barrier shower wall? Find any moisture in the cbd?

What way could we test this theory?

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
This guy. I've torn out hundreds of showers. Maybe 5 have been built properly. Three of those were mud. I don't suspect I'll ever find one that someone went through the trouble of doing two moisture barriers. Hell, I'm surprised to find one nowadays lol. I can't remember the last time I demoed a pan that was built right....

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
what theory are you trying to prove? there are things called moisture meters ya know. they even make ones for concrete..

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
damn, just looked to see who the op was again... you know what the hell is out there! and how to prove it! or at least i thought you did... lol

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This guy. I've torn out hundreds of showers. Maybe 5 have been built properly. Three of those were mud. I don't suspect I'll ever find one that someone went through the trouble of doing two moisture barriers. Hell, I'm surprised to find one nowadays lol. I can't remember the last time I demoed a pan that was built right....
How true! I remember a plumber several years ago telling me no one does a preslope except for me and one other guy in an $$$$$ suburb.

·
Registered
346 Posts
ok...so while you guys are here....lol, what do you recommend.....

pre slope with mortar, moisture barrier, then the final slope with mortar, then tile? have one coming up soon....so double checking....and since you guys have not seen one done right in ages, can you tell me what youd like to see?

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
ok...so while you guys are here....lol, what do you recommend.....

pre slope with mortar, moisture barrier, then the final slope with mortar, then tile? have one coming up soon....so double checking....and since you guys have not seen one done right in ages, can you tell me what youd like to see?
I only use liquid or sheet membranes. I cannot stand the idea of a mud bed sitting there soaked in water - pre-slope and weep holes or not. Why have it if it's not necessary?

·
Registered
172 Posts
1. Most membranes used on the surface of the board meeting ANSI 118.10 pass very little water. A perm rating of 1. Can pass 38.4 oz of water vapor per 100 sq. ft. Per 7 days of continuous use. ( nobleseal is 0.15 )We are talking showers not steam here.
2. If water got into the wall it would /could , just drain out the bottom of the " vapor" barrier into the pan.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes it could drain into a traditional mud pan quite easily. But if there were a membrane pan, it might trap water in wall due to less permable grout or thinset.

Where's J.W. and his testing when you need him?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts