Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a trim carp. but lately I've been doing painting, my finish on the material I install come's out good and I figured I've got interior painting down from all the painting I've done at home;), the first 2 bathrooms I did for a client(after I did thier crown) turned out tits(they supplied the paint without me asking), he refered me to his neighbor but I lost that bid. I usually have told client's to supply the paint cause then I'm not responsable if it's not the color they exspected. It hasn't been an issue, but the first 2 big interior paint jobs(5+ rooms) I bid I didn't get...what do you think, cause I don't supply the paint or charging the min. $250 to paint the 2nd bathroom w/shower and 10' cielings and $475 for a 2 car garage, +lid, is to much?? BTW, just to see, is charging $1900(which I regret cause I think I low balled to much just to try to secure the bid) to paint every single wall/cieling in a 30 year old 1300sqft home(including washing the walls cause they have 30 years of grime on them) to much, not including matertials??? Or is it cause It was a CL client:rolleyes:? The guy was impressed with my price but I haven't heard back and should have by now. Kinda relieved cause I do belive it's way to low. it was a on the site ballpark bid so I prob would have bumped it up on the final propsal.

·
Home Improvement Guy
1,480 Posts
The only times that I let the customer buy the paint is if it's Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams. Of course I try to convince them not to use "those other ones" As for pricing (in these lean times) it's only a lowball if you work for peanuts...you gotta pay the bills and put food on your table.

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
I learned my lesson a long time ago. I never let customers supply materials. They either buy poor quality which cost me money in labor or they forget the necessities. If I mess up, its on me. When someone else fuc** up I get mad.

Reactions: zipicus

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
If a HO wants to supply paint then I bid by the coat, I am not gonna put 10 coats on a room just because Walmart had paint on sale. Average bedroom, walls only $300, thats 2 coats, after that it is $150 per coat.
Normally if I give a quote and they want me to give them a second quote with them supplying the paint then I take off 1/4 of what I would have spent on paint. That usually brings them to their senses and they have me get the paint.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Well then I was giving these people a screaming deal then. I can't amagine who the hell under bid me, how can they make any money....oh ya, they low ball it so they get the job and pay their Greeny $8hr to do it while their chasing other leads. That's the final straw for CL for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts