Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I don't know what it is about homes built in the 1950's.... but they all seem to have entry doors that are SHORT. This was the case on this particular entry door system. Only 80 3/4" tall threshold to outside top jamb. So once again, ProVia comes to the rescue and builds a door for us that is custom sized in height.

The brick opening was also tight at the top as well. But, more on that later.

A well prepared crew, makes for a smooth install. Especially, when Complete Window and Door and ProVia are on the job....

Dang.... the box truck WAS a little messy huh? I guess I should have had them straighten it up a bit first shouldn't I ?!? :blink:

Anyway.... here is where we started....

Security door off (a lot of good THAT did with the Plexiglas sidelites that got broken into)....

Coming out in pieces....

Ok, the door is out and we are leveling up and shimming the threshold....

Going back in is next up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Dry fitting new door....

Went in absolutely perfect.

Remember how I've said MANY times that ProVia will custom size the brickmold for us before they attach it to the door? Well, check out how they have shaved down the top brickmold for us so that we've got a nice 1/4 inch or so, all around the door ready for cladding and caulking.

The factory pre-bent cladding sized perfectly for the jamb, mullions and brickmold.

Because everything FIT right from the factory, with no real field adjusting needed.... in about four hours, we went from this once again....

To this....

All trimmed out on the inside (I have NO IDEA why they didn't go with a prefinished WHITE on the inside, but they wanted the Chateau color inside AND out).

Not a beautiful SIGNET fiberglass offering from ProVia, but a rugged 20 GA. steel door that will take a strike from a baseball bat and just smile as you barely leave a mark on it. That, and a LIFETIME warranty with no painting or maintenance needed anywhere, the customer will enjoy this rock solid entry door system, for years and years to come.

:clap:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wait, pre bent aluminum casings? Can you post one details that's interesting!
Yup.... Cladding is an option from ProVia on their doors. You can order it three different ways.

[1] Pre-bent and already permanently applied to the door

[2] Pre-bent and cut to fit and dry applied to the door (attached, but removable for installation purposes)

[3] Pre-bent and shipped loose in a separate box

We always have it shipped loose in a separate box. It generally needs to be trimmed to length, (as the pre finished interior casing needs to be trimmed to length) and get's applied once the door is in place.

What other kind of details are you needing me to post???

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Looks great as always John!

I did a real shorty before this winter I had the unit made at 78 1/2" high. The home owner has to duck to get through the front door:laughing:

It was a ranch and there was no cost effective way to enlarge the opening. The storm door is literally 3/8" down from hitting the bottom of the fascia when its opened. I ordered a provia storm door for it, very nice:thumbup:

Dave

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks great as always John!

I did a real shorty before this winter I had the unit made at 78 1/2" high. The home owner has to duck to get through the front door:laughing:

It was a ranch and there was no cost effective way to enlarge the opening. The storm door is literally 3/8" down from hitting the bottom of the fascia when its opened. I ordered a provia storm door for it, very nice:thumbup:

Dave
Thanks Dave.... I've been working on a solution for a soon to be customer of mine that has a THREE story home built in 1895. Of course, it's in a historical district. :sad:

In the master bedroom, there are two sets of French doors with transoms above.... where the French doors measure exactly 43" wide by 72" tall, outside jamb to outside jamb. Nope, that's not a typo. :blink:

The historical society won't let them change them in size what so ever. The guy can't even walk through them without bending over, yet the HS is adamant they stay the same. :rolleyes: Nor, can they change them from wood to fiberglass. The jambs and wood thresholds are all rotted out and there was never any weather-stripping on the things.

So, we're going to pull out the doors and completely rebuild them in our mill shop. The only things that will remain are the slabs and hardware. Thank GOD I can get ProVia storms made for them, which the historical society HAS approved.

It also looks like we're going to get approval for ProVia storm windows on the other 60 windows in the house too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Roofcheck.... I sent you a PM. Did you get it???

Edit: Oops.... my PM box was full when I sent it to you. So either you didn't get it, or you couldn't reply. Sorry.... :blush:

WHEW.... I got that in right before my 30 minutes were up. :whistling

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beautiful work.

Off topic question - what brand of level is that you were using?
Thank you Sam! :clap:

But, that wasn't me. That was one of my leads. You (or my customers rather) don't WANT me to pick up a hammer or an impact driver. :no: :laughing:

So, in all honesty, I haven't got a clue. :blink: But, I'll certainly ask if you'd like.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is an improvement that will pay for it's self.
Nice job. :thumbup:
Thanks B.D.R. :thumbsup:

ProVia really DOES make our job a LOT easier. Especially on odd sized openings. Even on one that is more normal, there is almost always something that needs to be done. Brickmold needs to be 1/8 of an inch wider on each side to keep the finished caulk line down to 1/4"? No problem, they add lattice for me to fatten up the BM width, then the cladding is pre-bent to the wider size.

Need a jamb depth that's 4-7/8" to come out a little farther on the brick to cover the old caulk line? No problem.... you get a solid 4-7/8" jamb depth. No jamb extension added. Almost anything you want or need.... they can do for you.

The real trick, is knowing exactly what all they are capable of doing and getting PRECISE measurements for them before ordering the entry door system. I can order any part of that entry door system down to the 16th of an inch if I want to.

When we've done our job right measuring and ordering.... the new doors just slide right into the opening without ever having any field adjustments.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
MDjim said:
Looks like an empire to me. I have a 7' just like it
That makes sense. I asked because I have a mastercraft that looks identical, but afaik mastercraft is only available in Canada so I was curious as to what brand it would be in the states.

Back on topic

How do you make the cladding mitres? I've only ever had one door that had separate cladding and it was a nightmare to work with. That one was vinyl and hard to make the joint look good.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Back on topic

How do you make the cladding mitres? I've only ever had one door that had separate cladding and it was a nightmare to work with. That one was vinyl and hard to make the joint look good.
The jamb cladding goes on first, then the vertical brickmold and mullion cladding, then the top brickmold cladding last. The top BM cladding is hand cut with a miter across the face so that it lays nice and flat.

But, if your length cutting is done to really tight tolerances, you don't even have to miter the face cut and it still lays nice and flat. I've got guys that do it both ways. I don't much care either way, because everything is so tight coming from ProVia, it really doesn't matter which way you do it, it still looks nice.

I didn't get a close up on this one, but let me see if I find another one that shows what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
CompleteW&D said:
The jamb cladding goes on first, then the vertical brickmold and mullion cladding, then the top brickmold cladding last. The top BM cladding is hand cut with a miter across the face so that it lays nice and flat. I didn't get a close up on this one, but let me see if I find another one that shows what I'm talking about.
About what I expected. The one I did as I said was Vinyl, about 1/16" thick. It was green painted vinyl so the white showed through pretty bad. I was less than pleased but the homeowner was happy

Definitely would love to see more pics of the process.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Thanks Dave.... I've been working on a solution for a soon to be customer of mine that has a THREE story home built in 1895. Of course, it's in a historical district. :sad:

In the master bedroom, there are two sets of French doors with transoms above.... where the French doors measure exactly 43" wide by 72" tall, outside jamb to outside jamb. Nope, that's not a typo. :blink:

The historical society won't let them change them in size what so ever. The guy can't even walk through them without bending over, yet the HS is adamant they stay the same. :rolleyes: Nor, can they change them from wood to fiberglass. The jambs and wood thresholds are all rotted out and there was never any weather-stripping on the things.

So, we're going to pull out the doors and completely rebuild them in our mill shop. The only things that will remain are the slabs and hardware. Thank GOD I can get ProVia storms made for them, which the historical society HAS approved.

It also looks like we're going to get approval for ProVia storm windows on the other 60 windows in the house too. :thumbsup:
Man those are some short doors! Those are the cool projects though, deffinetly post some pics of that one. I guess provia makes everything, I'm just getting into them so far they really seem like a notch above therma tru.

60 windows:eek: Putting those storms on would keep me busy for a year:laughing:

Dave

·
Always Learning
8,744 Posts
Great clean install. I noticed the hepa vac! We have that same one. I really like the factory bent capping option. Do you find their bends accurate and consistent?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Definitely would love to see more pics of the process.
Ok ask and you shall receive.... These are from another thread I posted, but really show how nicely the pre-bent cladding system from ProVia works when you know how to "work it."

On this close up, the pre-bent jamb cladding is already applied by us. The horizontal under the transom is already applied by ProVia. You can see BTW, this is another one where the side BM was shaved down by the factory approximately 3/8" on each side, and the top BM was shaved down by a full 1" IIRC.

The pre-bent cladding is already formed to the exact cut down size on the BM. The side BM cladding is on the left, the top on the right....

Next, you trim the pre-bent mull cladding to fit at the bottom and slide the top lip up under the horizontal mull cladding.

Next, you trim the side BM cladding for fit around the horizontal mull, trim to fit around the BM at the top, trim it to length at the bottom, then apply the BM cladding over the lip of the horizontal mull and the jamb cladding that's already in place.

Then the top piece of pre-bent BM cladding goes on after you trim it to length. This one is NOT mitered, but as you can see.... still lays nice and flat.

And.... THIS is the kind of fit and finish you can get from taking very accurate pre-measurements, having a company like ProVia build your door precisely to your specifications, and then having competent installers that know what they are doing.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great clean install. I noticed the hepa vac! We have that same one. I really like the factory bent capping option. Do you find their bends accurate and consistent?
Thanks OA....

Dead nuts perfect every single time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts