Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Custom Home Builder
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for PROVEN examples of marketing materials (post cards, door hangers, newspaper ads, etc...) that actually work and will help us generate work. Which is the best method and how often do you need to run the ads, etc...?

I have someone that can go door to door with door hangers for $10/hour, or should I just mass mail them? We are in the process of developing our website before marketing in this way, but need some helpful ideas and language to use in our materials. Your help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Sales Material?

What works for me may not work for you? Do you no who your client is? I work in the senior market but you may need a baby boomer market.

Once I no your market then maybe I can lead you down a path in the right direction. Let me no.:thumbsup:

·
Custom Home Builder
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Carport King-

Marketing ages of 30-50 really. Trying to do add on's and garages specifically. Thanks for your input.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I am looking for PROVEN examples of marketing materials (post cards, door hangers, newspaper ads, etc...) that actually work and will help us generate work.
Would you like the account number to someones bank account too?

Sorry, I kind of find it funny how someone would expect to be handed the keys to vault just for asking.

·
Custom Home Builder
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would you like the account number to someones bank account too?

Sorry, I kind of find it funny how someone would expect to be handed the keys to vault just for asking.
haha. I've seen people offer lots of examples here before, haven't you? It's one thing if we are in the same marketplace, but most of us aren't. If I had something that was effective, I'd surely offer it if asked.

·
Registered
246 Posts
BiggersJunior,

I was in the marketing/advertising business for over 20 years before starting my own company. There is NO such thing as PROVEN marketing - too many variables. Also, different advertising mediams work differently in different areas of the country.

You might also try a certain method of advertising & your message/creative/copy/offer... whatever, could be ineffective.

If someone in this thread was to tell you that something they do - will work for you - and you blindly invest money into it - you would be a fool.

·
Banned
846 Posts
Pre-season: I do the door hanger thing. Right around January I hire temp workers to hang door hangers advertising my weekly lawn maintenance program. This is the cash flow portion of my business. In February I make a mass postcard mailing through Vista Print advertising to get the mowing route contracts signed by the end of March. There's a limited number of slots available and I push that pretty hard.

A little closer to the season I make another postcard mailing. This time reminding potential clients of the Moscow home show and to be sure to visit my booth.

During the season: I again use the post card mailers. This time advertising landscaping and hardscaping. Generally 1 mailing a month to homeowners making over $80,000 a year in a 50 mile radius. I get a lot of phone calls, pre-screen heavily. I also kick off my referral program. I approach local vendors of hardscape and landscape products. Nurserys, home improvement centers, rental centers, etc. I hand out referral cards good for $50 cash for every signed contract that results from their referral. This works quite well. I also give $50 to past customers that got me a new customer. I also do Google ads, newspaper, and internet advertising.

Post season: Around September/October I go through my list of clients. I send each one a nice card thanking them for their business and a refrigerator magnet that has my contact info on it.

Then the whole process starts over again the next year.

·
Banned
917 Posts
Pre-season: I do the door hanger thing. Right around January I hire temp workers to hang door hangers advertising my weekly lawn maintenance program. This is the cash flow portion of my business. In February I make a mass postcard mailing through Vista Print advertising to get the mowing route contracts signed by the end of March. There's a limited number of slots available and I push that pretty hard.

A little closer to the season I make another postcard mailing. This time reminding potential clients of the Moscow home show and to be sure to visit my booth.

During the season: I again use the post card mailers. This time advertising landscaping and hardscaping. Generally 1 mailing a month to homeowners making over $80,000 a year in a 50 mile radius. I get a lot of phone calls, pre-screen heavily. I also kick off my referral program. I approach local vendors of hardscape and landscape products. Nurserys, home improvement centers, rental centers, etc. I hand out referral cards good for $50 cash for every signed contract that results from their referral. This works quite well. I also give $50 to past customers that got me a new customer. I also do Google ads, newspaper, and internet advertising.

Post season: Around September/October I go through my list of clients. I send each one a nice card thanking them for their business and a refrigerator magnet that has my contact info on it.

Then the whole process starts over again the next year.
In various posts you sound pretty sharp business wise, 27 and a diva, something doesnt add up. Youre in Idaho, I grew up in Idaho, making a living in Idaho aint for the faint of heart.

·
Banned
846 Posts
In various posts you sound pretty sharp business wise, 27 and a diva, something doesnt add up. Youre in Idaho, I grew up in Idaho, making a living in Idaho aint for the faint of heart.
I have fun with it bro. It's business, it needs to be taken seriously but at the same time laugh along the way. I'm a landscaper in Idaho, that in and of itself is kinda funny. The season is short to make money with. 5 to 7 months, this year looks like it will be a 5 month season. Hasn't really got warm yet and doesn't look like it will.

I'd say I'm fairly sharp business wise, I manage to make enough money to live on for a year during our short season up here. At the same time though I'm a crack up. Making a few jokes at my expense, not taking myself too seriously, it's all in how I live.

Like my truck. It's an 82 F-150. Not a real head turner for sure. Last week I had a client in stitches with it. Thought she was gonna have to lay down she was laughing so hard.

What happened was we were standing by my truck, she had the contract in hand but wasn't quite ready to sign. She asked me to come back in a few days. I said "You're gonna make me drive this raging pile of **** down and up the grade again?"

Dude, she started cracking up at the thought of that old truck going down and up the grade. I said "Hell it's a white knuckle ride down the hill and I can solve a New York Times crossword puzzle by the time I get back up."

She asked for a pen, signed on the hood of my truck and wrote me a check. Start her job Thursday.

I use humor a lot. I like to laugh and not take myself uber-serious. It's just my style. Honestly I'd have to say that makes me a popular guy. Everybody that knows me smiles when I roll up. They always want a joke, anecdote, ask me what's happening.

Now come here and give me a hug you big galoot. :clap:

·
Banned
846 Posts
You got my respect for making a living in OK. I can't handle them 100+ degree days. Screw that.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
haha. I've seen people offer lots of examples here before, haven't you? It's one thing if we are in the same marketplace, but most of us aren't. If I had something that was effective, I'd surely offer it if asked.
True dat, but can you guarantee nobody in my market place will see the sure fire, multi-million dollar 100% close ratio advertisement I put up here for just you to see?

:w00t:

If not maybe I would post my 99% close ratio one instead. :laughing:

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
I'll tell you what I'm seeing a lot of.
Money Mailer, Val-Pak and other envelopes delivered to my mailbox.
I open them now and then to see the coupons for 50% off of carpet, windows, roofing, siding and sunrooms.
Haven't seen newspaper inserts for a few months, no doorhangers allowed in my community.
In the city kids are knocking on doors and pitching services.

·
Banned
846 Posts
I visited my dad last year around Christmas. He lives in Mustang outside OKC. We went to the Olive Garden in OKC for dinner, came out and there's a ticket stuck to my windshield courtesy of Oklahomas finest. $250 for having studded tires on my truck!

Apparently there's so little winter in Oklahoma that studded tires are never legal, even if your truck is tagged for a state that does allow them!

He keeps telling me to move to OKC, says I could landscape 9 months a year and make beaucoup dollars. I hate the heat though. I like my mild, 70 to 80 degree summer days.

Good luck with work tomorrow. By the way consider wearing jeans and a long sleeve shirt. When you sweat it creates a cooling layer on your skin. If your skin is exposed to the sun it'll evaporate off and make you hotter and dehydrate you faster.

·
Custom Home Builder
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
True dat, but can you guarantee nobody in my market place will see the sure fire, multi-million dollar 100% close ratio advertisement I put up here for just you to see?

:w00t:

If not maybe I would post my 99% close ratio one instead. :laughing:
Want to email it to me? :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts