Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a prospective client that has already started getting prices for a skylight $50,000, sliding doors for the office, sprinklers system for the building etc.

How do you other GC's handle clients like this?

I typically will not deal with them as you end up bidding a bunch of work only to get used for your knowledge or they want you to pull the permit and they run the job, in this case it is bank financing and the job is too big for them to pull the permit themselves as an owner/builder.

How do you save the job but not end up with working for free or a bunch of head aches?

·
Registered
28 Posts
give them a ballpark estimate, if they want to continue, sign a contract from estimating services and your "OPINIONS" about the work. Specify when the estimating services and opinions will cease.

Collect some, all, partial payments, what ever you feel for this initial contract. If you get the work, rolling back into the cost of the project.

I know its easier said than done. Good luck.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
My Ol' Pappy used to tell me that I would one day have to learn to let other people see who I am, and let them deal with the weight of it. It took a while, but I did. Life is so much easier now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts