Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
40,543 Posts
Not in my world. We go through about 5 pallets of structural screws a year. If an engineer says lag, you have to use a lag, not a structural screw.

It's not hard to get an engineer to make that change. I've twisted heads off lags many times. Never happens with a structural screw.

Mike.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
It's not hard to get an engineer to make that change. I've twisted heads off lags many times. Never happens with a structural screw.

Mike.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I've used spacers on a ledger board once, the reason for it was because it was a log cabin. I had to be careful attaching because the top half of the ledger was a wood stud frame with log siding. The bottom half were solid logs. Tearing off siding and using flashing wouldn't have been a good idea because I would have had to maul into a large portion of the solid logs. I could probably do it but it would have taken a long time and would have hacked everything up. I think for a spacer I cut out some pieces of treated wood and dipped them into more wood preservative then used them every 16 inches or so. It drained pretty well without having to tear into the building.

I wouldn't recommend using spacers on regular siding. It's not hard to take a skill saw and cut out a piece of siding then tuck some flashing in there. I worked for a guy once that didn't want to use flashing or spacers. He just had me nail the ledger right to the siding :mellow:

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I built a lot of decks back in the day with deck to wall spacers and ledgerloks. All these projects were solid wood sidings or T1-11. In most cases, it saved having to tear back the existing siding to properly flash the ledger. I gave the owners the choice and associated pros and cons.
I thought the same thing in the back of my head, those spacers would work really nice on T1-11 siding. I'm still not a fan of doing it this way but you're right we should be more open minded and consider pros and cons when doing these things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
For those that have to be concerned about frost; have you ever had an application when you have made the deck next to the house, but not attached a ledger board, but rather left the deck as a stand alone?
Maybe unusual drainage circumstances, etc.?

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
For those that have to be concerned about frost; have you ever had an application when you have made the deck next to the house, but not attached a ledger board, but rather left the deck as a stand alone?
Maybe unusual drainage circumstances, etc.?
Fairly common. It's required on older balloon framed homes or on cantilevered second floors which is a common detail on raised ranches. The thing to be careful of is that you can be required to excavate to undisturbed soil on newer homes and that's usually around 8-9' around here.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts