Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm familiar with attaching the deck ledger board with either a bolt through or lag, but I've never used spacers behind the ledger.
I've seen others that have done that; why would you use that, and what are the pros and cons?

This is all assuming proper construction, attaching correctly/sufficiently, flashing, etc, etc.

Look forward to your input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Obviously using either lag or bolt to attach, but what do you use for a spacer?Some kind of nylon spacer? How much space?
Doing it this way removes the need for flashing?

What made you decide to go this way, rather than securing to the rim joist with no space?

Thanks for some input.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
The spacer needs to be water tight and you have a little allowance for the gap so cladding thickness won't work much of the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom M are you saying ("so cladding thickness won't work much of the time.") that you need to keep the gap less than the thickness of the existing cladding?

Do you use anything in particular for the spacers?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I had a slight case of "confusion" :confused1:; help me out here.

So, is the "Spacer" approach used when you want to go over siding, without removing it?

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
I don't use spacers. Most of the homes I deal with are multi layered siding or vinyl so I'm not fluent in the method but I believe the code limits how far beyond the framing you can space. So I imagine you would need a stucco or thin veneer.

Without digging into the code I should reserve my opinion so I don't confuse you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The link from We Fix Houses for Deck2WallSpacer has a video and it does present an interesting approach. At this point I've only given it a quick glance, but looks interesting.

Bottom line is, we all want to provide a quality product to our customers, efficiently, cost effectively, and that's pleasing to the customer. As is usually the case, there's more than one way to skin a cat. :whistling

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ledger spacers just bind up vinyl siding. I tried it at a homeowner's request. It created a huge headache for that application. Logic tells me it's better lagged tight with proper flashing. Although I could see it against concrete walls.

DD

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sometime I will if I don't trust a door or the details around a door to stop all the water. Otherwise good flashing should do the the job.

·
Registered
23 Posts
IMO, lags should never be used by anyone, ever again. I've had a bunch of structural engineers agree with me on this(but more still spec them). They are just a PITA and have lower withdrawal values. Structural screws are where it's at.

I think "Lags" is a generic term used for most structural screws.

DD

1 - 20 of 32 Posts