Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together an estimate for replacement of nearly 800 windows. I walked about 20 buildings in a sub division counting the windows. This is such a large quantity of windows I am contimplating how to word the proposal to limit my responsibility of quantity.

What I mean is if I missed a few windows, I don't want to be at fault :) I was thinking of presenting my proposal with a per window price and a estimated number of total windows. What are your thoughts?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Well Grump,
That sounds like a lot of work in the est. phase. I'm south of you in Vandalia IL. if there was some work in it for me I'd be glade to try and help you put something together. Otherwise all I can offer is advice, advice that you already realize I'm sure, be CAREFUL. A small mistake at 800 units can be very damaging to your wallet. Feel free to contact me at [email protected]. I look forward to hearing from you.
Bob

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
I've come across this before in large commercial jobs for vinyl. Seems like the prints and specs are changing all the time, or the designer/architect did a crappy job and there are addendums every other day. Each of my contracts or proposals are worded for specific jobs, but in these cases would say something like " contractor to install approximately XX lin. yards Type II vinyl, at $XX per lin. yard, to be totaled at job completion, or when its apparent that...."

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob, I'll keep that in mind. Depending what they decide to do, phases or one big project, I may need your help! There is actually well over 800. It was obviously very early when I posted that and in my initial addition I forgot to count a few buildings twice since there were a few repeat models.

Pro, your right about specs etc... but this is replacement windows so the association doesn't really know what they want at this point. I gave them options for 3 diffeent windows and shot them some preliminary figures but haven't shot them a detailed estimate yet. I guess they can now figure out what's in their budget then I can provide a detailed estimate.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
usually on huge jobs like this, they normally know what they want, but you do get some that want a few estimates on different products to determine what their budget may be.
Takes a while sometimes to get all those estimates done, and you will need to pad em a bit I imagine, cause once they pick and you detail the estimate, the extra padding might help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like a nice job. I hope it all works out will for you. We did several hundred windows on a job a few years ago and it was a per window price. Make sure you mark the windows you install ( company name writen in ink on the track side of the sash) So there is no questions that you installed that window. It may come in handy if there is a discrepencewhen the job is finished. It sure paid off for us.

·
Registered
18 Posts
HCI said:
Sounds like a nice job. I hope it all works out well for you. We did several hundred windows on a job a few years ago and it was a per window price. Make sure you mark the windows you install ( company name writen in ink on the track side of the sash) So there is no questions that you installed that window. It may come in handy if there is a discrepencewhen the job is finished. It sure paid off for us.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, I just did a job like this last year. 2600 + windows and sliders in a development. Don't forget attrition, mine ran nearly 5%. Damaged in shipping, handling and installation.
I know that I was not the low bid on that job and think that I got it because I had previously worked for many of the homeowners. HOA voted for me, got more work from it too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts