Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m currently using a small radiant oil 110 V heater. It takes the chill off, but never warms up the office to T-shirt temperatures.

10 x 12’ foot print, insulated walls, high ceilings.

Looking for a surface mounted propane heater, reviews are mixed.

Radiant? Blue flame?

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Radical Basement Dweller
22,148 Posts
These were all the rage back in the 70's. They put out some pretty good heat and with odorless kerosene now, it may be worth looking into.
Lots of people still using them.

Reactions: A&E Exteriors

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,521 Posts
Have you thought of using like an RV furnace? I use one in my work trailer, blower, on a themostat, works with out any problems. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking for a surface mount that doesn’t leave a footprint on the floor.

I’ve seen some measuring 24 x 24 x 10”

Like the size of a cadet heater but propane.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you thought of using like an RV furnace? I use one in my work trailer, blower, on a themostat, works with out any problems. Just a thought.
… And that’s why I posted here.

Not familiar. Surface mount?

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you spend a lot of time in there I would use a vented wall heater like this:

If you spend little time there, you can get a similar one unvented for much much less. They create a little bit of smell (not much) and humidity. The more you use it, the more smell and humidity. Years ago I got an unvented one with a digital control panel with nice functions and blower. I don't see those any more, they all seem to have just a crude mechanical t-stat and push button ignition and no blower. Presumably so you can use them without electricity.

Furnaces are great but they take a lot more space. Another option is a thru-wall mount heat pump so you also get cooling in the summer. Those require 240V. But no humping propane tanks up and down the stairs :)

·
Radical Basement Dweller
22,148 Posts
I keep the heat off and door closed in my 10 x 18 den and use this exclusively. I've owned it for probably 20 years and it just keeps on running. Though it's a floor model, I used rope and hooks to hang it from a clothes bar in the back of the truck when I've gone camping in the winter and slept in the back (with cap).
It get's too warm in the den and I have to turn it off even when it gets down into the 20's.
Great little inexpensive heater.
It could be hung an inch or two from a wall. The case doesn't get hot at all.
I used to use the electric oil-filled radiator heater but this heats the room faster.
It's got a fan also.

·
Registered
11,092 Posts
google "ventless propane heater" and choose one. Since you have high ceilings, you could also add a small bathroom vent fan up high, and add a snorkel to the floor. (I saw that trick in a high ceiling warehouse years ago..worked amazingly well. Might be overkill, though.)

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,521 Posts
the first picture is like what I use in my trailer and the second one was what thinking might work for you , not wall mount , but fairly small and the make what is called a park model that uses 110 for blower. You don't want to use any that are not direct vent , create way to much moist in the room.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that really the office? Seems more like a cigar retreat or a place to decompress from the family. Pretty sweet!
Can’t really write off a man cave.

I use the van for the office mostly.

But it is nice to have an office with a loft for conjugal visits.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most recently, we’ve been using it to meet with friends on Thursday nights.

Socializing, board games, and drinks.

It’s a little chilly at night.

It’s also going to be available for marriage retreats. Pro Bono.

·
spazman
Flooring
735 Posts
I have a mr heater. They have the big buddy and the little buddy. They use the camping size propane canisters or you can do like I did and buy the hose that will allow you to connect it to the 20 pound propane cylinder like is on a gas grill. Sorry but I don’t know how to link to their website but I did notice that cabelas have them on sale for $79.99

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
443 Posts
I just installed this rinnai direct vent in my office above my workshop (garage) went this route as opposed to the ventless because of my elevation at 6800 ft. living in the hills, I also have a 500 gallon propane tank that I was able to tie into. not pretty, but works great...

·
Registered
11,092 Posts
I just installed this rinnai direct vent in my office above my workshop (garage) went this route as opposed to the ventless because of my elevation at 6800 ft. living in the hills, I also have a 500 gallon propane tank that I was able to tie into. not pretty, but works great...

View attachment 508728

View attachment 508725
What kind of flooring you got there?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a mr heater. They have the big buddy and the little buddy. They use the camping size propane canisters or you can do like I did and buy the hose that will allow you to connect it to the 20 pound propane cylinder like is on a gas grill. Sorry but I don’t know how to link to their website but I did notice that cabelas have them on sale for $79.99
I have that and the hose as well.
It kept shutting off.

Hoping to upgrade

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you spend a lot of time in there I would use a vented wall heater like this:

If you spend little time there, you can get a similar one unvented for much much less. They create a little bit of smell (not much) and humidity. The more you use it, the more smell and humidity. Years ago I got an unvented one with a digital control panel with nice functions and blower. I don't see those any more, they all seem to have just a crude mechanical t-stat and push button ignition and no blower. Presumably so you can use them without electricity.

Furnaces are great but they take a lot more space. Another option is a thru-wall mount heat pump so you also get cooling in the summer. Those require 240V. But no humping propane tanks up and down the stairs :)
Nice, but hoping for the $500 range.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts