Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most regulars here know, my pronto tape post was popular, I just want to post a part 2..I got my 2 rolls as promised, and they were bulky..Anyway I used one roll right away on 2 jobs ad it seemed to work fine, all i had to do was give the area over the tape a quick swipe to fill in any holes still pitted..Anyway the other roll was kept in storage, until about 2 weeks ago..So i tried to use i, and it was cracked in a few areas, and did not stick at all..It was on densarmor, but tht shouldnt matter or at least we weren't told that..So maybe it is better to use it right away..it doesn't remain sticky...

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Pronto does have a shelf life; maybe it was just getting old. Storage conditions may have had something to do with it also.

I tried some out on a job after doing some shop testing and I liked it. It did save some time over hand or banjo taping, which was important on this particular job. Taping with a bazooka might be faster, but you still have to wait for the first coat to dry, whereas with the Pronto, you apply the tape and the first mud to hit the wall is the "second coat," with the "first coat" supplied by the tape.

Application is different, though, especially on inside angles- definitely can't use a knife to press it into the corner 'cause it can cut the tape, but it pressed in pretty easily by hand if folded in half first.

Probably the best application is on stand-ups, as it applies fast to the tapered joints, but it's o.k. for butts, too. Of course, I like to use RockSplicers on butts, so they tape like flats anyway.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you post a good picture of those rocksplicers? a friend of mine wants to see them thanks..i stored the tape in a room temp draw. i think it may have been the shelf life..

·
Registered
210 Posts
As most regulars here know, my pronto tape post was popular, I just want to post a part 2..I got my 2 rolls as promised, and they were bulky..Anyway I used one roll right away on 2 jobs ad it seemed to work fine, all i had to do was give the area over the tape a quick swipe to fill in any holes still pitted..Anyway the other roll was kept in storage, until about 2 weeks ago..So i tried to use i, and it was cracked in a few areas, and did not stick at all..It was on densarmor, but tht shouldnt matter or at least we weren't told that..So maybe it is better to use it right away..it doesn't remain sticky...
Its not nice to toot your own horn about how popular your posts are. Braggard

·
Registered
210 Posts
I really don't fell like reading that post again so... If you use pronto and first coat is actually the second. Could you use just one coat of hot mud and be done? Would there be much benefit over just using 20 min. Just wondering if it would be better on small jobs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts