Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering starting my own service business and am needing a good way to try and project the possible income in my area. I am in the central arkansas area so anyone from the the south could probably more closely relate to my area but advice from anyone would be much appreciated.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
I am considering starting my own service business and am needing a good way to try and project the possible income in my area. I am in the central arkansas area so anyone from the the south could probably more closely relate to my area but advice from anyone would be much appreciated.
Giving you an answer will be near to impossible. Your going to have to form and educated guess.

Have you worked for some one before going out on your own? You could use that information as a starting point

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I used to be in appliance service and got an idea to start on my own. Thought i would stick an ad in add in the yellow pages as most of my companys work was from them just to get a feel for how many service calls i would get a day. I ended up getting 6 calls in a year and the company i worked with would get that every morning. Spoke to yellow pages for a refund and they told me the reason for the lack of calls. Their ad was the first add in that section for that area and 99% of people would call that first ad. I was 3 ads below him! It's a hard thing to work out even if a guy tells you exactly what he gets in the way of service calls. Just your company name plays a massive part in the amount of calls you get.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Try calling one of the plumbing franchises like Mr. Rooter. If they don't think there is enough demand in your area to sell you a franchise that should tell you something.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I ran my business for a good 6 months on the side while working a full time job just to see if it would go. I also did this work on the side long before i started my business legitimitly too. So really it took me several yrs to get the ball rolling to the point that i was comfortable enough to resign from my job. This whole time i rolled most if not all the money i made back into the business so i would have less debt when starting out. I still took out a loan about 6 months before leaving to buy the bigger things like my enclosed trailer, equipment trailer and used mini-ex. Regardless what you do you will be in debt, nervous and wondering if you will make it. I have been on my own for 1.5yrs now and i still worry if i will make it or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts